3DCoat Forums

a detailed video

• Advanced Member

Just wondering if there is a detailed video on sculpting a character/creature from start to finish. I wish the "lizard" video was not the speeded up video that bypasses most of the steps. For instance; that particular video shows him/her using alphas to creat certain scales or skin bumps and I tried making alphas of scales but they come up flat where his has dimensions to them; they smoothly go from skin base to pointed scale. How do you get an alpha to do that. I know it has to do with black and white gradations but I can't quite seem to be able to make them work. I also notice that he begins with the "curves" tool for the main body and legs, and then it jumps immediately to an already detailed sculptured body form with muscles, toes, nailes and horns. I know it takes practice but it would be nice to see how someone does it from start to finish. Are their any such videoes out there like that?

• Advanced Member

If it were only a speeded up tutorial it wouldn't be a problem but its a time

lapsed movie (parts cut out).There are a couple of users who offer free and paid tutorials

in the tutorial forum, the thing that puts me off is when people make tutorials

based around LightWave which I do not have.

http://3d-coat.com/tutorial/buy-tutorials/

• Advanced Member

I agree JimB, the "learn3d software" videoes are all in connection with Lightwave and I don't have that either. But I did follow the "proverbial pirate" video and that gave me a lot of practice in with starting from a simple sphere in 3d coat. Also I was not thinking in terms of clay and sculpting I was still in the polygonal mode of thinking like in using hexagon where the geometry was always a concern. So, I just started with a sphere, threw all fears of ignorence to the wind and started sculpting; pushing, pulling, extruding. It is really quite easy. I made a dragon head and started on another head for a beast I am creating for an image. And that is turning out pretty good if I don't say so myself. Thanks for the response. It's good to know I'm not alone in this desire to have pure 3d coat tuts that go from start to finish.