3D Coat Forums
artman

SurfaceMode sculpting presets

my clay build wasnt working, so cleared presets.

loaded em from here. still clay build isn't working :(

using latest beta build.

anyone got any suggestions?

Hey Aleksey!

Try clearing out your configs If that doesn't work uninstall every build you have, delete all of the configs and then fresh install a new one. Just make sure to back up any of your custom configs/presets/etc.. At least one of those should work for you, it works for me when I have that happen.

• Like 1

These presets are still good to use considering the V4.1? New user here.

Hey there. Welcome aboard. :)

These presets ship standard with 3DC now, so you will have them already with the installer. FWIW, I use quite a few of them each time I sculpt. They are really great!

Hey there. Welcome aboard. :)

These presets ship standard with 3DC now, so you will have them already with the installer. FWIW, I use quite a few of them each time I sculpt. They are really great!

Thanks for your response and I'm very glad to be aboard 3D Coat's ship. :)

But I guess that I'm doing some sort of newbie error. I can not find the artman's preset anywhere, even on the presets tool through windows > popup. When I manually installed the preset on the 4.1.12 version, they were very few compared to what I was using on my Steam version. Any tips? Thanks.

Edited by dimitribastos

Thanks for your response and I'm very glad to be aboard 3D Coat's ship. :)

But I guess that I'm doing some sort of newbie error. I can not find the artman's preset anywhere, even on the presets tool through windows > popup. When I manually installed the preset on the 4.1.12 version, they were very few compared to what I was using on my Steam version. Any tips? Thanks.

you are better off with the "very few" from a manual install,all extra ones are mostly old obsolete and redundant presets .

• Like 1

Hello artman,

How can i strip out those obsolete presets? Which are new and which are old/obsolete/redundant?

Your presets are excellent, thanks for that.

Cheers

Hello artman,

How can i strip out those obsolete presets? Which are new and which are old/obsolete/redundant?

Your presets are excellent, thanks for that.

Cheers

-rename all presets to other names like MyClay ,MyScifiarmor ect...so they don't get overwritten when loading my pack manually 

-then make back up of them using file- make extension

-Clear all presets

-Load my preset pack

-load your Back up pack

-Now you can see old/new all together

-All renamed ones will obviously be the old/redundant ones....now you can compare and manually delete ones you don't want or

find redundant

Alternatively you can just Clear all presets then load my pack....

which imo is the best/simplest way....but maybe you already made yourself some presets and want to keep em...

From time to time, I delete all the config files (XML) from the MyDocs/3D Coat folder, in order to rule out them being the source of bug-like behavior. I usually restore my Options_Presets.XML file, or move it back....but somehow I permanent deleted it and after installing the newest build, there is nothing in my Presets panel. So, this preset pack might come with a first-time install, but not subsequent installs.

If one is frequently downloading and installing 3DC builds (like most of us testers), it is highly recommended to occasionally backup your presets, layout, etc.. Then uninstall every build, remove every trace of 3DC from the installer directories (including the My Docs directories), and then reinstall the latest build. It avoids any kind of weirdness you might chance upon.

Looks like the work-around is to re-name the MyDocs/3D Coat V4 folder > Install new build > copy Options_Presets.XML and Presets.XML file from the newly created MyDocs/3D Coat V4 folder > Paste into the older one (re-write over the ones there) > delete the newly created folder > Rename the old one back to 3D-Coat V4, like it was.

updated to the version i am currently using in 4.5.16 (file is in page 1 of this thread)..... some older bushes seems really out of place and weird, anyway they went through so many iterations that I dont know which ones people are using...so make a backup if you plan on installing those new ones there might be some older one you like better.

I tried intsalling older pack and really had an horrendous experiences with some brushes like polish or HD sharp(when I tried them they only crush the mesh with crazy pinch,seems like there is no depth to them anymore...)I don't know what went wrong or maybe some things changed along the updates ...anyway,this version is the one that I use and has the best feeling for me...

• Like 3

Great update, Artman! :)

I have several questions about it:

1. I see that you have dropped the Rapid2-based Clay preset. What might be the reason behind it?

2. I also have noticed that amClayBuild utilizes GeneralClay. Is the brush safe to use now in 4.5.16?

3. Finally, what is the purpose of amFix and amFixArea brushes? When do you use them?

Great update, Artman! :)

I have several questions about it:

1. I see that you have dropped the Rapid2-based Clay preset. What might be the reason behind it?

2. I also have noticed that amClayBuild utilizes GeneralClay. Is the brush safe to use now in 4.5.16?

3. Finally, what is the purpose of amFix and amFixArea brushes? When do you use them?

1.I dont use it anymore as Im always starting from 200k-300k lumps of clay and RemoveStrteching does not generate enough resolution to produce nice clean clay strokes.

JoseConseco asked me to make a livecaly based Clay brush (amClayBuild) 

and after making it I really started loving it a lot :)...you see,I really need those strokes to be nice as I use the natural folds and creases it creates when crossing strokes to base most of my organic wrinkles from.

Also when using it for hardsurface I also enjoy more resolution in the strokes

But feel free to keep using the old Rapid2 one ,anyway it was pretty close to default rapid2 anyway...but I might have fiddled with the flatten curve a bit.

2.For this particular brush I dont encounter any issues on a daily basis, but I dont indulge in the build up aspect of this brush...

somebody might use it to too much extremes and get unhealthy self-intersections, Its true of any brushes with "build up" anyway.

3, AmFix purpose it to remove any sorts of bumps in hardsurfaces that are already flats, I use it in both add and ctrl mode to be sure erything is super crisp. amFixArea is basically the same brush but using curve (the way to define area is to set different radius to the curve points to cover surface as much as its possible .Then by using Apply in both add and Ctrl mode multiple times(a hotkey works best for this) I get very sharp,clean surfaces.)

The purpose of both those brushes is to remove the "sculpted" look out of hardsurface sculpted parts so they can look similar to what you get when creating hardsurface using subd modeling 3D packages.I dont think poeple are gonna use them a lot,but personally I really needed those,they really were a missing piece for me.....you see ,I dont want to do any retopology for the sole purpose of sharpening  hardsurface shapes,its already a big enough chore to make the lopoly retopo for bakingI,m not gonna make an intermediary midres retopology on top of this ,that takes all the fun of sculpting it in the first place imo...

The strong points of this update imo is really the polish and Trim brushes which are less harsh then the ones bundled in 3DC and are really complementary to both make sharp bevelling with Trim or really intricate hardsurface shapes with Polish.

and the Sharp brush which imho is superior to DamStandard brush (mostly due to adaptive tessellation) I had to balance it a little bit when Andrew changed the relation between depth and radius.

• Like 3

Thanks for a detailed explanation. :)

1.I dont use it anymore as Im always starting from 200k-300k lumps of clay and RemoveStrteching does not generate enough resolution to produce nice clean clay strokes.
JoseConseco asked me to make a livecaly based Clay brush (amClayBuild) 
and after making it I really started loving it a lot :)...you see,I really need those strokes to be nice as I use the natural folds and creases it creates when crossing strokes to base most of my organic wrinkles from.
Also when using it for hardsurface I also enjoy more resolution in the strokes
But feel free to keep using the old Rapid2 one ,anyway it was pretty close to default rapid2 anyway...but I might have fiddled with the flatten curve a bit.

I don't miss the Clay preset either. I start from very low poly clay lumps too so I had the same problem with Remove Stretching as you did. Actually at one point I switched to a clay preset based-off GeneralClay, but if you remember I had some problems with artifacts appearing on the surface. But it probably was the Noise tool. I'm currently using amClayBuild a lot - love it.

2.For this particular brush I dont encounter any issues on a daily basis, but I dont indulge in the build up aspect of this brush...
somebody might use it to too much extremes and get unhealthy self-intersections, Its true of any brushes with "build up" anyway.

I hope that eventually Andrew will improve the two existing collision detection algorithms, or alter this tool (and build up mode in general) so it doesn't cause intersections in the first place.

3. AmFix purpose it to remove any sorts of bumps in hardsurfaces that are already flats, I use it in both add and ctrl mode to be sure erything is super crisp. amFixArea is basically the same brush but using curve (the way to define area is to set different radius to the curve points to cover surface as much as its possible .Then by using Apply in both add and Ctrl mode multiple times(a hotkey works best for this) I get very sharp,clean surfaces.)

The purpose of both those brushes is to remove the "sculpted" look out of hardsurface sculpted parts so they can look similar to what you get when creating hardsurface using subd modeling 3D packages.I dont think poeple are gonna use them a lot,but personally I really needed those,they really were a missing piece for me.....you see ,I dont want to do any retopology for the sole purpose of sharpening  hardsurface shapes,its already a big enough chore to make the lopoly retopo for bakingI,m not gonna make an intermediary midres retopology on top of this ,that takes all the fun of sculpting it in the first place imo...

Ah I see. This can be very useful. I don't have any hard surface objects to sculpt now, but I will try it as soon as I have a chance to. :)

The strong points of this update imo is really the polish and Trim brushes which are less harsh then the ones bundled in 3DC and are really complementary to both make sharp bevelling with Trim or really intricate hardsurface shapes with Polish.
and the Sharp brush which imho is superior to DamStandard brush (mostly due to adaptive tessellation) I had to balance it a little bit when Andrew changed the relation between depth and radius.

Great additions! :)

• Like 1

So I was wondering if these brushes are more current in the default install now. I'm asking because most of the posts seem to be from last year.

Thanks in advance . :)

On 7/16/2016 at 7:13 PM, grfxman said:

So I was wondering if these brushes are more current in the default install now. I'm asking because most of the posts seem to be from last year.

Thanks in advance . :)

actually the ones in the default install are mostly older...or seem mixed with older ones.I always remove them anyway as Im still using only the ones attached  here..

I dont really need to update them for the same reasons DamStandard brush in Zb is the same since like 5 years.... 

What I could do tough is make new ones for different purposes/effects but I do better work when not bouncing between a gazillion brushes and I dont really want to spend time making new ones as it was a pretty tedious process....what is truly missing is Fx brushes like cracks and stiches ect...and anyone can make those with a few good alphas and fiddling with spacing values...I just wanted to have good core brushes for flattening/polishing/blocking and sharpening.

6 hours ago, artman said:

actually the ones in the default install are mostly older...or seem mixed with older ones.I always remove them anyway as Im still using only the ones attached  here..

I dont really need to update them for the same reasons DamStandard brush in Zb is the same since like 5 years.... 

What I could do tough is make new ones for different purposes/effects but I do better work when not bouncing between a gazillion brushes and I dont really want to spend time making new ones as it was a pretty tedious process....what is truly missing is Fx brushes like cracks and stiches ect...and anyone can make those with a few good alphas and fiddling with spacing values...I just wanted to have good core brushes for flattening/polishing/blocking and sharpening.

I did some experimenting and cleaned up the list just to include your brushes and a few extra I tweaked, plus the DamStandard (renamed it LC Crease) and hPolish (Polish Crisp) by one of the other forum members. If anyone wants to add these to their current list, you might want to first save the presets you have, in case you want to get back to it as is, later > delete all the brushes you think are old artman brushes > go to the FILE menu > Install Extension > choose the attached file. It should add these to what you have left (after deleting the old ones). Many of these have tooltips to explain their behavior.

Artman_ABR Sculpt Brushes - Copy.zip