3DCoat Forums

3d coat overheating my pc

Christoph

Hi

I try 3d coat some years ago and i love it, but at the time i had a problem of 3d coat overheating my pc to the point that i had to change the fan ventilation. I though it could be a coincidence but now that i tryng again 3d coat i having the same issue with overheating and the pc fan getting faulty.

I search around and it seems some others are having the same issue. I found a very old topic of 2008 saying just that http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1674

Is there something i can do to prevent 3d coat overheating my pc?...., or in any case are there plans to change the way 3d coat works, which as i read it works like a video game.

Many Thanks

best regards :)

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

I try 3d coat some years ago and i love it, but at the time i had a problem of 3d coat overheating my pc to the point that i had to change the fan ventilation. I though it could be a coincidence but now that i tryng again 3d coat i having the same issue with overheating and the pc fan getting faulty.

I search around and it seems some others are having the same issue. I found a very old topic of 2008 saying just that http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=1674

Is there something i can do to prevent 3d coat overheating my pc?...., or in any case are there plans to change the way 3d coat works, which as i read it works like a video game.

Many Thanks

best regards :)

Which version are you using? Have you downloaded the latest Beta 4 build? A lot of improvements in performance and some lag issues were fixed recently, but alot of it depends on your hardware. 3D Coat is intended to make use of your hardware resources, and that is a good thing. It's multi-threaded, so many brushing actions and calculations will put a load on all your CPU cores. I have a good CPU cooler and plenty of ventilation in my computer case (lots of fans....pulling air from the front and exhausting the warm air out the back) and even when pushing the app pretty hard, it never really breaks a sweat. Make sure you don't have your pc confined to a spot where it can get much air into your case and vent it out, too.

• Advanced Member

3D Coat v4 Beta 14A of GL and DX both with Cuda on Windows 7 with a room temperature of approximately 17c to 19c gives me the following results:

CPU at Idle = 32c

GPU at idle = 36c

CPU at load = 46c

GPU at load = 39c

Currently my CPU is an Intel Core i7 3770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz and has a Noctua NH-D14 cooler using the fans it comes with. I'm pretty sure I have automatic fan speed control enabled in my motherboard options too and auto throttling/underclocking is off. I'm using CoreTemp RC4 to monitor it's temperatures.

As for my GPU, it's a Gigabyte GTX 670 OC which come with a custom air cooler called the wind force I think. They work well and are very quiet. I'm using MSI Afterburner 2.2.4 to overclock both the memory and core of this video card quite a bit further, as well as to monitor it's temperatures and use a custom fan profile.

The case is a Lian Li PC-8FIB with two 120mm intake fans at the front, one 120mm exhaust fan at the rear, and one 140mm exhaust fan at the top of the case. All four of them are rated at 1200 RPM and the two intakes are filtered using basic screen door type material (works great for keeping pet fur out).

Everything stays quiet while 3D Coat is running. The only time it ever gets audibly louder is when I do a render in 3ds Max which maxes out my CPU temperature around 66C. When I first built this PC, one of my last tests was to run Prime95 continuously for twenty fours hours to make sure it was 100% stable and the temperature never got above 67c.

That should all give people some idea of what to expect from a newer PC circa 2012. Older processors often run warmer than that and some run very hot even on light tasks. If you use more than one video card, that will generate a lot more heat too while making it more difficult for air to flow freely through the case. Besides good air cooling on both the CPU and GPU, just as important (possibly even more so) is your choice of case and how it's configured. Things to consider:

- Clean the dust out regularly, once per year should do and maybe twice if you have pets.

- Try to keep the air flow as unrestricted as possible. This means no messy wiring inside!

- Stock air coolers are usually the worst choice for CPU's. Better thermal grease can help too.

- Double check your motherboard fan settings which may need tweaking.

- Updating drivers may have an effect, especially if there is a problem such as a bug or damage.

- Apps/services running in the background that aren't needed can potentially increase heat.

Official Prime95 page

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

CoreTemp (simple CPU monitor)

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

MSI Afterburner (GPU monitoring & overclocking)

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

HWInfo (a very comprehensive monitoring app)

http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

3D Mark (Video card benchmarking)

http://www.3dmark.com/

The link AbnRanger provided is a good one. Overclock.net is a great place for those building PC's or just needing help in general and the folks there are both knowledgeable and friendly. It would probably pay to setup and account there and ask for advice. Just make sure to provide as much information about your hardware as you can. It's hard to know whether what you're experiencing is normal or not without that info. In addition to stress testing the CPU with Prime95 for heat and stability, I also like to run the full 3D Mark test suite for 24 hours straight too. Any video game benchmark that can be run on an infinite loop should do though.

what a great post Zeddicus. I will follow your advice and make sure everything is working as it should. For now i spray with an special cleaner the pc fan and now it runs smoothly. I will run 3d Coat now and with one of those applications i will check how much my system increase in temperature.

Many thanks for the help, is highly appreciate it. :)

• Advanced Member

You can see my setup below. I don't have overheating problems, but I also don't overclock anything. My tower has ventilation both front bottom and back top and I vacuum / keep it clean monthly. It's all fan-based and/or heat piping.

I recommend Patriot RAM with great timings, low cost, and reliable in my experience.