3DCoat Forums

Retopology request :)

Rodney Brett

Hey, there. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I was using 3d-coat for some recent retopo work and I really wish that there was a way to "drop" GL points onto the mesh(move them around) and fill them later with some hotkey like shift. I've gotten really comfortable working in this fashion and it mimics a "point by point" modeling method that Lightwave has.

Here is a sample video of one of my works using this method in NEX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSMQbv3uAE

One other request, with "add polygons" mode, it would be useful to see vertex points as you click. I usually do not work on a "poly by poly" method, sometimes I want to create a whole lined up "row" and go back and connect them, but without seeing the potential vertex points, it's hard to tell where to click, especially with slight angles.

Hey, there. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I was using 3d-coat for some recent retopo work and I really wish that there was a way to "drop" GL points onto the mesh(move them around) and fill them later with some hotkey like shift. I've gotten really comfortable working in this fashion and it mimics a "point by point" modeling method that Lightwave has.

Here is a sample video of one of my works using this method in NEX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSMQbv3uAE

One other request, with "add polygons" mode, it would be useful to see vertex points as you click. I usually do not work on a "poly by poly" method, sometimes I want to create a whole lined up "row" and go back and connect them, but without seeing the potential vertex points, it's hard to tell where to click, especially with slight angles.

heh, I had a hope to finish 3DC 2.10 quickly :)

I am not sure that I will do that in 2.10, but may be.

heh, I had a hope to finish 3DC 2.10 quickly :)

I am not sure that I will do that in 2.10, but may be.

ha! I don't want to burn you out, but it's the one feature that's missing from retopo that'll pretty much have everything all of the competitor's have. On another note, I am somewhat disappointed to see that both Mudbox 2009 and Maya 2009 features posted on Autodesk's site is lacking a retopology tool of any sort. It's become such an important part of today's production pipeline, you would think that Autodesk would have implement something. Even on a very basic level at least. If I using Maya without any plugins, I am still stuck with Maya Live which only helps a little bit.

I am happy to finally see Animation layers in Maya now.

• Advanced Member
Done and uploaded. Really interesting tool. I am not sure that it is exactly like in NEX but anyway this new subtool seems to be most easy and quick to use of all retopo tool.

This is just fantastic and welcome news being a long time NEX user. This new 'Add points and faces' tool, as it stands, is the NEX Quad Draw tool at it's most basic; I'll explain.

The power behind QuadDraw is that it combines multiple tools into one that uses a combination of SHIFT CTRL ALT and the mouse buttons for all it's functions. As a result you hardly need to exit the tool while retopologising. Holding shift will give you a preview of where your split edgeloop will go then merely hitting LMB will actually make the cut.

With Quad draw you are able to plot down your points then 'paint' down strips of quads using the predictive quad creation. This way you don't have to make multiple clicks to create many quads and as a result is extremely fast.

MMB allows you to tweak any of the openGL points or existing verts/edges/polys.

These are just a few of things that make up QuadDraw which is imho still one of the fastest and enjoyable methods for retopology around (3dCoat is by the look of things and after a lot of refining isgoing to overtake all.)

You are the greatest programmer in the universe. I nominate you for "greatest programmer that ever lived" award..

Thank you for bright compliment!

I think there are many good programmers. The only thing - I am just trying to follow principle (not always successfully):

"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."

(from Bible)