3DCoat Forums

Ability to dissable paint layer culling

PolyHertz

I really hate how 3DCoat deletes anything outside the UV border on layers with an imported/synced texture, and completely disallows painting outside the UV borders even in the Texture Editor. I understand why this is important when painting in the 3D Viewport, but everywhere else it's just an annoyance.

Take the default head for instance:

-In the Viewport, try and paint the mouth area, you wont be able to get the pixels to completely cross over the UV borders resulting in seams.

-Painting in the Texture Editor wont work for covering it up either because it wont let you paint outside the borders.

-In Photoshop you can paint over the seam just fine, but once back in 3DCoat it deletes all the texture info outside (mostly) the border causing the seam to still be a problem.

Of course you can export the texture with padding and the seam will be taken care of automatically, but while in 3DCoat it'll be visible without a lot of messing around.

Plus some people (myself included) just like having values across the blank space instead of solid black/white/transparent voids when painting in 2D directly on the UVs.

• Advanced Member

I'll +1 this too. I've found when creating textures for games that get modified in-game (for colorization or personalization of the characters) the padding problems cause me issues with scaling and mipmaping etc. Being able to control this from 3DCoat and also when packing (to ensure a minimum amount of space between islands) is important to me.

Check out this link, it was useful to me for working around this issue in Photoshop after 3DC exported the textures:

http://wiki.polycount.com/EdgePadding