3DCoat Forums

Rigify Rig in Blender

• Reputable Contributor

The creature was modelled in a relax pose as I read that is better for shoulder deformation than the standard T pose.

This guy said it pretty well..

"The original T pose was done mostly for modeling convenience, as most everything lines up with XYZ standard grid.

The other poses have come about primarily to help with animation weighting and deformation.
Any deforming body will have some level of stress or compression through the muscles and skin and clothing etc, to hold the pose. The ideal neutral standing relaxes most muscle tension, and so should deform decently well once rigged.

The other prime concern is virtual bone structures often have prefered axis of rotation. This either has to be manually set, or inferred from the initial rotation of the bones. So if a bone chain is straight along one axis, no preferred rotation axis can be inferred, making for more setup time, or worse, strange animation behaviours.

Also of note is that triangular geometry stretches more believably than it compresses.
Modeling with every joint slightly bent in its most common compression direction addresses both of these concerns by allowing the initial pose of the skeleton to detect its preferred directions easily, and fake proper skin bunching when the skeleton deforms the mesh into a compressed state."

Now looking at my model, he really has stiff legs, a little bending at the knees would have been better when I modelled him.

I am by far not an expert in this matter that takes years to learn but it does seem to help in deformations and compressions

Google it, there is lots of reading on the subject out there...

post-518-0-78753900-1375166369_thumb.png