3DCoat Forums

3dCoat - awesome 3dprinting companion

Przemas

We're using computer apps to design miniatures for tabletop games. We then 3d print those crazily small and even more crazily detailed models on our 3d printer. But the files need to be really clean for it - and usually we use specialized apps for repairing the meshes. Truth to be told we rarely have issues with the stuff we do inhouse. But as we're running 3d printing service as well we sometimes get files so screwed up that repair apps show me a middle finger when I'm running repair scripts. Those so far were a real pain.

I've always suspected that thx to using voxels 3d Coat should be great for manuacturing. But never thought how capable it is when it comes to fixing meshes for 3d printing. Last week I've been able to make 2 really nasty models printable. First voxelizing/filling voids removed most of the tricky areas while Fill tool worked as magic rebuilding the few screwed areas that were left. Now I only regret I haven't tried it sooner :D .

Thought I'd share chaps :) .

So far it was rather straightforward - imported mesh for voxelizing, scaled it till polycount seemed right then run fill voids / close invisible hulls command . Then I rebuilt the areas that were not right with "Fill" brush . That's it - that gave me mesh that has not caused any more serious problems.

We have an inhouse 3d printer. When we've decided to go digital it was tricky to find a company that provided service that matched our needs (very high res). Just to show you what I mean:

policehelmets_print_final.jpg

Edited by Przemas