3DCoat Forums

Splotches in Model

A. Lynn

Hey team, I've been trying to export this sea-dragon model out of 3DC for about a week now, but I keep getting these black splotches (see screenshot).  This is after I sculpted, retopo, and then after attempting to Merge with NM, per pixel.  I've exported quite a few models using this method before, abd I have not encountered this issue until now.  What am I doing wrong?  I've fiddled with the scanning options, but no matter what, I get these issues. This is 3DC 4.0.04B by the way.  Let me know if someone needs the 3b file.

Issue.jpg

• Contributor

Check out Andrew's "Happy Baking Guide" for 3D-Coat. Try out the spheres of influence option when baking. Try making cleaner or denser topology in the problem areas.

Also you can try sending your retopo mesh to Zbrush, subdivide it a bunch, then use the Project All (shrinkwrap function) to project the detail from your high poly version onto the newly subdivided low poly, and then finally use your newly created subdivision levels to bake your normal map in Zbrush. Or try Xnormal for the bake.

But does your model really have enough small details that you really need to bake a normal map? It looks pretty smooth-surface to me...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding. I simply gave up on normal baking. Part of my issue is I like to bake the Shader textures onto my models as a way to "jumpstart" my painting process.  There may be another way to do this that I am simply not aware of.  I did read the happybaking guide, and I've watched a few videos, but I still do not understand some of the basic principles of baking, including the inner/outer baking cages.

At home I only have Mudbox (I cannot afford zBrush, not even the student version).  I will eventually start experimenting with Mudbox and 3DCoat together. 

But I wanted to say thank you :D , I appreciate the effort.  When I can, I've been experimenting with random shapes to better understand why my baked models in the Paint Room end up looking NOTHING like the Voxels int he Sculpt Room.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding. I simply gave up on normal baking. Part of my issue is I like to bake the Shader textures onto my models as a way to "jumpstart" my painting process.  There may be another way to do this that I am simply not aware of.  I did read the happybaking guide, and I've watched a few videos, but I still do not understand some of the basic principles of baking, including the inner/outer baking cages.

At home I only have Mudbox (I cannot afford zBrush, not even the student version).  I will eventually start experimenting with Mudbox and 3DCoat together. 

But I wanted to say thank you :D , I appreciate the effort.  When I can, I've been experimenting with random shapes to better understand why my baked models in the Paint Room end up looking NOTHING like the Voxels int he Sculpt Room.

It's working really well for me, so I'm not sure where your problem lies. Any chance you can make a screen recording (using Jing...which is free...and I think Apple QuicktimeX has one as well).

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15150&hl=%2Bscreen+%2Brecording

Hi ABN, it is always good to hear from you.  You are always very helpful.

I am knee-deep in Senior Project right now for the next week, nine hours, and forty-something minutes (but who's counting :blink: ).  Once I get to Thursday the 12th, I can record my mishaps on both the Water Dragon, and with a Rupee I was experimenting with.

Thank you for your patience!

• Reputable Contributor

Hi ABN, it is always good to hear from you.  You are always very helpful.

I am knee-deep in Senior Project right now for the next week, nine hours, and forty-something minutes (but who's counting :blink: ).  Once I get to Thursday the 12th, I can record my mishaps on both the Water Dragon, and with a Rupee I was experimenting with.

Thank you for your patience!

I meant if you could do a quick screen recording and provide a link here, so we could see what is happening in your UI/Scene...in order to help diagnose the problem(s). :)

For what it's worth, you could set the inner and outer baking cage to a setting of 1.5 to 2.5. That should get you pretty close. I would also try to Merge to Per Pixel Painting, where you are working with a normal map in the Depth Channel of the Paint Room. I find it to be easier to get a good baking result. Whereas, Microvertex might take a few more attempts, on average. Most of the time merging to PPP, works on the first attempt.

Edited by AbnRanger