3DCoat Forums

Two Issues: Painting a Photo and AUTORETOPO

sandboxgod

Hi! I have 2 issues:

- I cannot find a tutorial that describes how I can paint a photo unto a model. The only tutorial I found on youtube is by a guy painting a butt naked female which will not work for me (wife will think I'm watching XXX). Tried going through the 3d coat tutorials but cant find any coverage of this :(

- I've noticed on several models I've imported that when I run AUTORETOPO (w/ edge loops) many times the fingers will get bypassed altogether. The only way I've found to resolve this is increase the number of polygons from like 3000 -> 20,000 or so.

Thanks...

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks a lot! A little while after I posted I kept searching and stumbled across his tutorials. He's so helpful!! I had went through a few of his already but missed his texture painting vids

Yeah, there is an entire Playlist of his on the 3DC Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlQ3JITh9bXM1jWm_zef5QiVebMReXqVL

This is another that goes over it a bit:

Edited by AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Btw, in regards to my issue #2, has anyone else noticed sometimes AUTORETOPO misses the fingers? Does most people manually retopo their work?

THanks!!!!

It doesn't miss fingers if you set your poly count high enough. If you try to shoot low, you are not going to get a good result. It's best to lean a little toward the higher side of your "guess-timation." You can always go back in and delete entire loops to reduce the poly count afterwards, if you need.

You can also paint select certain areas to apply more polygonal density. There are a number of videos on the 3DC Youtube channel that cover this aspect of Auto-Retopology. Manual Retopology gives you full control over the topology structure/layout...whereas Auto-Retopo is limited, since you are handing a relatively complex task over to an Algorithm to do the work for you. With that said, I think the Strokes tool is undervalued, greatly. It's actually a nice blend of Auto-Retopology and Manual.

Edited by AbnRanger