3DCoat Forums

How to retopo a surface layer?

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

For thing things like ribbons and stuff I like to work with surface layers instead of voxels because I can get a thinner surface which holds its integrity than I can with a voxel layer.

These ribbons for example are surface layers and when I look at the wireframe of the ribbons they're exactly what I want in a mesh if the quadrangles were converted into full on quads. But I can't autoretopo a surface layer without it breaking up into separate blobs no matter how dense I make it's mesh.

All I'd really like is to be able to convert the tris to quads and call it a day and the mesh would be perfect but I can't seem to find a way to do that (other than obviously exporting the mesh to something like Blender, converting the tris to quads and importing it back).

How do you retopo a surface layer or can you only retopo voxels? Is there a simple tris to quad converter to generate a retopo mesh?

post-38257-0-73201900-1393877320_thumb.j

Hey. :)

Unfortunately for a mesh like that, the autopo function definitely wont work very well, IMHO. It would be best to manually retopo or modeling the bits in another package, though I think a manual retopo would probably do the trick, I guess it depends on the end purpose of the asset and how much time you have to spend on it.

• Advanced Member

Thanks. I think I'll spend some time learning about all the modelling tools in the retopo room then and see what I can do with these sort of surfaces.