3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] UV padding

Andrei Samardac

• Reputable Contributor

Try using this tool feature which is design for that purpose.

Do this before unwrapping...

To get a greater distance between uv islands increase the percentage upward...

This is related to your question so you might want to know the information as well.

Left toolbar / Commands / UV Settings.

This will bring up a dialog box where you can also control the amount of uv space that the uv islands will be unwrapped into. It also has a uv island spacing input as well.

The first method I gave you will work fine in your case but knowing about the second will help you on other projects if needed...

post-518-0-30878400-1396284939_thumb.png

post-518-0-54074900-1396285511_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you, two questions, 

1. Why it placed in retopo room?

2. It works like I wanted but it not control space between islands and edges of texture.

It is placed there because it relates to the retopo room. Commands \ Uv settings is in the UV room as well if you need to get more uv island space...

I do not understand the second question...

First set your uv island distance.

Also as Carlosan said control the amount of texture bleed (padding)  for the uv slands in the preference menu. 64 pixels which is the default is way to large.. For a 1024 texture, 4 to 6 pixels is enough.

That is the way 3DC of doing things for now, if you need more control put in a feature request...

EDIT: I had put UV commands when I meant UV settings are under the UV commands in the UV room...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

I edited my first post to show you about the Commands / UV setting tool ... The tool is also in the UV room.

Using the UV setting tool you can control the amount of space that the uv islands are from the edge...

Look at the picture in my first post, The blue outline is what you adjust making it smaller as needed to pull the uv islands away from the edge of the uv space to get more room for texturing padding... Once done you will need to unwrap again so it best to do this first if you need that extra space.

I also edited my second post as I had not clearly wrote down the correct words.

The minimal setting seam distance tool under the retopo menu is in the retopo room because that is where we create our retopo mesh and uv sets. The UV room is for working on existing uv sets...

Last of all you can manually select uv islands and move them as needed though that is not what you ask for...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1