3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3D-Coat unusable with crashes

Last night I downloaded the trial for 3D-Coat, which would mean I have the latest version of 3D-Coat, but after I installed together with DirectX, 3D-Coat is unusable with the crashes.

I launch the program, and it loads fine, everything appears normal. On the main splash screen that opens on the program's launch, if I click any of the options there (Voxel Scultping, Hard Surface Sculpting etc etc etc) the program crashes. For example, if I click on Voxel Sculpting, I go to the next splash page where it has the various options - the primitives and the bust - yet if I click any of these, the program crashes.

If I bypass the splash screen by clicking the X in the corner, I can then be in the program, but as soon as I click on anything, the program again crashes.

There are no error messages beyond the standard Windows "The program has stopped responding"

This was last night, and after I booted up today the issues persisted. I launched the program 4 times to the same result.

However, and this is the kicker, as I have been typing this message, I have managed to not only load a primitive but also the bust and I have been able to roughly sculpt on it just to determine the program is working.

Is this a quirk of 3D-Coat, with the clap-on clap-off crashes, or could it be a compatibility issue?

Admittedly the problems with 3D-Coat crashing for no apparent reason and giving me no error messages is making me uneasy about getting Zbrush next month. (There aren't any trials for that, to make sure it will work on my system.)

My machine is Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, Intel Core i&-4960X 3.60GHz processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 videocard.

Hi!

Welcome aboard. :) Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. Which build are you using? It sounds like you might be using an older build and not the most recent, but I could be wrong. Could you verify which build you're using? Here is a link to the latest build as well:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&p=80738

It sounds like you are using the DX build, but also to mention just in case, running the DX build is generally advised.

Also before running the latest build, be sure to delete any config files from: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\3D-CoatV4. Those files will have the word "Options" in them. If you have any custom presets or configs, make sure to back them up first.

• Reputable Contributor

Last night I downloaded the trial for 3D-Coat, which would mean I have the latest version of 3D-Coat, but after I installed together with DirectX, 3D-Coat is unusable with the crashes.

I launch the program, and it loads fine, everything appears normal. On the main splash screen that opens on the program's launch, if I click any of the options there (Voxel Scultping, Hard Surface Sculpting etc etc etc) the program crashes. For example, if I click on Voxel Sculpting, I go to the next splash page where it has the various options - the primitives and the bust - yet if I click any of these, the program crashes.

If I bypass the splash screen by clicking the X in the corner, I can then be in the program, but as soon as I click on anything, the program again crashes.

There are no error messages beyond the standard Windows "The program has stopped responding"

This was last night, and after I booted up today the issues persisted. I launched the program 4 times to the same result.

However, and this is the kicker, as I have been typing this message, I have managed to not only load a primitive but also the bust and I have been able to roughly sculpt on it just to determine the program is working.

Is this a quirk of 3D-Coat, with the clap-on clap-off crashes, or could it be a compatibility issue?

Admittedly the problems with 3D-Coat crashing for no apparent reason and giving me no error messages is making me uneasy about getting Zbrush next month. (There aren't any trials for that, to make sure it will work on my system.)

My machine is Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, Intel Core i&-4960X 3.60GHz processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 videocard.

That sounds like a bad install (something might have gotten corrupted). Make sure to turn off any Anti-Virus or Firewall before re-installing. I would also try to update your Nvidia drivers. Sometimes that can cause issues with an app like 3D Coat. 4.1.17D is working fine on my PC with similar specs. Just not as new of a CPU and GPU (i7 970 and GTX 580)

Thanks for the welcome, Javis!

The version of 3D-Coat I am using is the one available on their site for download. 4.1.17 as far as I can see listed on the webpage, and what is listed in the .exe's filename on my desktop. I tried opening 3D-Coat to see what version number it has listed there, but the perpetual crashing as soon as I click on anything has returned.

I have tried launching the DX build as well as the GL build, and both crash as soon as I click anything on the splash screen, or if I bypass that, crashes as soon as I click anything in the program's UI.

I will be sure to delete the files containing Options. I don't have any custom presets or configurations however. I haven't had a chance to make anything like that in the program yet.

I will attempt a reinstall and see how that goes. As well as downloading the .exe from the site again, just to be certain nothing corrupted during the download.

Edit:

I am downloading the file again, and already I am noticing a different filename from the one I downloaded last night: 3d-Coat-V4_1-17D-64.exe is what I am downloading right now. The one I downloaded last night had the filename of 3d-Coat-V4_1-17-64.exe. Perhaps that is why I was having problems.

I also noticed when I went into My Documents, there wer two folders: 3D-CoatV3 and 3D-CoatV4.

So I truly have no idea what was or is going on

I haven't had a chance to check 3D-Coat until now (busy day today) but I was able to open the program, load a sphere primitive from the Voxel splash screen and also morph it and paint it roughly without the program crashing.

I can load the 3D-Coat DX 64 version of the program without it crashing. When I attempt to run the 3D-Coat DX CUDA 64 version it crashes.

Getting the straight DX 64 version to run without crashing will give me a chance to evaluate if this program is going to meet my needs to include in my pipeline. If it is, then I can worry about the CUDA crashing later.

Thanks for the help everyone. It would appear that when I downloaded the trial, the page I was directed to gave me an older .exe file to the one I downloaded and installed after posting this thread.

Here's hoping I have no further issues with crashes on the DX 64 while I evaluate 3D-Coat.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get back to working with 3D Coat until now, but thankfully my trial hasn't fully experied (shame that I missed the discount though! I had hoped to evaluate the trial before it ran out) With the problem persisting wiht using the CUDA version of the installation, I will email support and see what they have to say about it. With so many different programs on my system, updating my videocard drivers (my system is only 1 year 4 days old) is not something I want to have to do unless absolutely necessary. Updating drivers never ends well in my experience and I'm too busy with work to be butting heads with driver issues.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I can get it sorted and have both versions of the program running - or at least have a definitive answer why CUDA crashes.