3DCoat Forums

edit UV map

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I must be missing something very obvious but can't for the life of me figure out how to edit a small portion of my UV's without rearranging all of my islands  :( . I have my UV's rearranged and only want to disconnect some faces and place them separate from the island they are coming from.

Did many searches and went trough videos without finding anything usefull.

Anny suggestions?

Thanks a bunch, Robert

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Your question is a little unclear but what I think you mean is after unwrapping you would like to break apart one uv island, disconnecting some faces which become their own uv island without having to unwrap the whole uv set again.

Ok, here is how you do it for now in 3DCoat.

Mark with new seam edges where you would like to cut the faces.

Next Choose (Upd. Islands) under the Command section in the left toolbar.

The faces will be disconnected from the original uv island and become their own uv island. They will not be moved so the uv island might not looked disconnected but it is. Select the new uv island and you can now place it where it is needed and give more space for the bleed between islands.

The pictures shows one uv island and after performing the above routine now I have two uv islands. I moved the new uv island after the completion of the operation just to show that it is it's own uv island.

If I miss understood your question, sorry about that...

post-518-0-00315100-1419296157_thumb.png

Edited by digman

@Carlosan, thanks a lot for your help! I should have mentioned I guess that I imported my model in the UV room. Although the model does appear in the retopo room when I go to it; I am unable to select any of the faces, edges etc.

@digman, thanks that did the trick. I am baffled how I could have missed that one. Would be nice to separate parts of the UV by selecting faces on my model also and to show the selected face in the UV preview. But at the moment I am unable to select separate faces on my model, it simply selects the whole island even when I have "select faces" selected.

At the end I completely redid my UV map, it turned out that there wa s a redundant face on my model. I made the mistake of removing that UV-face in 3DC and safe the UV info separately fro my model, it then kept crashing 3DC.

But I'm happy that now I know how to handle this, will definitely use it in the future.

Thanks again gentlemen, much appreciated, Robert