3DCoat Forums

Upgrading steam edu version to pro

RabenWulf

• Advanced Member

Thinking of upgrading my steam edu version to the Pro before the sale ends... but I have a question before doing so.

If we go through Pilgway, is it possible or have people been able to get the pro version unlocked on their steam profile as well? Steam only allows for the purchase of either version, but no upgrade path and I would like to keep the software attached to steam if possible.

• Advanced Member

Thanks,

I got a response saying they cannot or will not upgrade steam edu versions to the pro version, despite the pro version being sold on steam. I purshased the upgrade anyway.

It may not be intentiona, but it does punish the steam user by forcing them outside of steam. I hope Pilgway can take a page from Allegorithmic and eventually allow their licenses to be tied to steam, which has a lot of perks in its own right including how it updates automatically.  I have a feeling you will also see a lot of changes with the eventual release of Source 2.0 (Valve's game engine) which will target content creation, so it would be great to see 3d coat integrated into such a platform and marketplace where everything can be easily managed.

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks,

I got a response saying they cannot or will not upgrade steam edu versions to the pro version, despite the pro version being sold on steam. I purshased the upgrade anyway.

It may not be intentiona, but it does punish the steam user by forcing them outside of steam. I hope Pilgway can take a page from Allegorithmic and eventually allow their licenses to be tied to steam, which has a lot of perks in its own right including how it updates automatically.  I have a feeling you will also see a lot of changes with the eventual release of Source 2.0 (Valve's game engine) which will target content creation, so it would be great to see 3d coat integrated into such a platform and marketplace where everything can be easily managed.

Cheers

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect it has more to do with STEAM not handling upgrades, themselves. They don't list a lot of the newer builds, until it is deemed an official release (ie., 4.1 or 4.5), so they are the ones being restrictive. You could contact STEAM and let them know you upgraded outside of the STEAM shop and see if they can switch your new license over to a STEAM Pro license. Don't see why they wouldn't.

To be honest, you're probably better off keeping your license outside of Steam to begin with. No hassles with licenses/new builds, and you can always install 3D Coat on up to 3 computers. You just can't use them simultaneously. So, you can use the same license at work, at home and on a laptop, for example. When you leave one machine, just make sure to close the app.

• Advanced Member

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect it has more to do with STEAM not handling upgrades, themselves. They don't list a lot of the newer builds, until it is deemed an official release (ie., 4.1 or 4.5), so they are the ones being restrictive. You could contact STEAM and let them know you upgraded outside of the STEAM shop and see if they can switch your new license over to a STEAM Pro license. Don't see why they wouldn't.

To be honest, you're probably better off keeping your license outside of Steam to begin with. No hassles with licenses/new builds, and you can always install 3D Coat on up to 3 computers. You just can't use them simultaneously. So, you can use the same license at work, at home and on a laptop, for example. When you leave one machine, just make sure to close the app.

There's one problem with this. Allegorithmic does it just fine. Modo SE just recieved and Upgrade to Modo Indie, future updates include steam as their platform. On top of that, I have had access to a handful of beta builts within steam itself. So its certainly possible and is being done. This will however require some effort on Pilgway's side. They have quite a bit of control as to how their store page and community hub on steam opperate.

I have about $1000 worth of software tied to steam, and tbh I am better off with it inside than outside of steam. Theres some anti-steam sentiment that can be found coming from some artist, but I dont think they realize the perks of steam as a platform. Everything has a community tied to it, each library is easily managed and if I need to travel, just log into the steam account via laptop or other device and I have access to my library. It goes where I go in other words. This is very empowering for the user. Its a one stop solution to using and obtaining the software, no need to hop to 100 different sites, log in, install and set up.

Anyways, I dont want to sound like I'm being to hard on Pilgway, the opposite is happening really. If the software is sold on steam in its full copacity, I just ask or request for the eventual inclusion to allow our software to be tied to the steam platform or upgraded within it. As steam continues to develop as a platform, I believe the demand will go up as well, at its core its empowering to both developers and the consumers. Currently over 65 million active users call steam home and its going up every day. =)

• Reputable Contributor

There's one problem with this. Allegorithmic does it just fine. Modo SE just recieved and Upgrade to Modo Indie, future updates include steam as their platform. On top of that, I have had access to a handful of beta builts within steam itself. So its certainly possible and is being done. This will however require some effort on Pilgway's side. They have quite a bit of control as to how their store page and community hub on steam opperate.

I have about $1000 worth of software tied to steam, and tbh I am better off with it inside than outside of steam. Theres some anti-steam sentiment that can be found coming from some artist, but I dont think they realize the perks of steam as a platform. Everything has a community tied to it, each library is easily managed and if I need to travel, just log into the steam account via laptop or other device and I have access to my library. It goes where I go in other words. This is very empowering for the user. Its a one stop solution to using and obtaining the software, no need to hop to 100 different sites, log in, install and set up.

Anyways, I dont want to sound like I'm being to hard on Pilgway, the opposite is happening really. If the software is sold on steam in its full copacity, I just ask or request for the eventual inclusion to allow our software to be tied to the steam platform or upgraded within it. As steam continues to develop as a platform, I believe the demand will go up as well, at its core its empowering to both developers and the consumers. Currently over 65 million active users call steam home and its going up every day. =)

Did you contact STEAM and ask them what the problem was? Again, it is THEIR store...not Pilgways. I'll say something to Andrew or Stas about it. Maybe there is some miscommunication going on between them.

• Advanced Member

Steam doesnt quite work that way, from what I know. The software's steam page and what options are present, including its moderation of forums and chat for that hub are handled by the software developers themselves, not Valve. If someone needs to upgrade or get the non steam version of say Substance Designer, they have two options...contact Allegorithmic and they give you a key to unlock the steam version or just click the "BUY SUBSTANCE DESIGNER PRO UPGRADE". This isnt wishful thinking, its literally how its been working.

Perhaps there is miscommunication, but I do know they generally give the reins to the software developer to manage their hub and storefront...sometimes that will require some dialog between the two parties.

Also, Allegorithmic and Modo have far less frequent updates than 3D Coat does, so it's an apples to oranges comparison. 3D Coat uses a Public Beta system...not a closed one, and periodically releases a formal point releas

Actually since March of 2014 there have been over 14 updates to Substance Painter. Substance Designer has had about 4 updates in the last year and if you own these software packages on steam, you will see them constantly getting updated in the download history of the steam client.

This isnt a substance vs 3d coat issue, nor a judgement on which software is better.

Pilgway should have the authority to allow upgrades through steam, and knowing full well its run by a small group of people, all I can ask (or inform) is that some consideration be given to allowing upgrades on steam (or more effort being made to do so). At the end of the day its beneficial for all parties involved.

Edited by RabenWulf