3DCoat Forums

Help. On a deadline. Obj file export errors

• Advanced Member

3DC 4.1.17 (DX64)

Never had this problem before.

Normally I import my model from Modo, and texture with ptex in 3DC then export an obj/stl file for printing.

This time I imported my model from Modo and textured using "Paint w/Deep Displacement (Micro-Vertex).

Model good in 3DC and it exports as a obj file ok, but when I open the obj file up I get this error. See attachment.

Am on a deadline so any help appreciated.

post-435-0-53565100-1423581202_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-42726400-1423581213_thumb.jpg

The issue is probably with microvertex. That particular method is deprecated, but still around just in case. PTEX uses the same algorithm for exporting/baking/etc. as Per Pixel, so I recommend using that method (or PTEX) whenever you paint in 3DC.

If you have the time, you might be able to export your maps, create a new scene with Per Pixel, import your maps, and then export again with Per Pixel.

You can also send me your file and I can take a look at it if you wish. PM me a link to the file, I'll be happy to help!

• Like 1

Obj file is completely normal, I imported it for vertex painting and it looks perfectly (but without color texture).

Should there be color or only bump?

If you painting colorless figures use Import for vertex painting and then subdivide - if is fastest and feature rich.

Please answer to support@3d-coat.com, I may loose this thread....

• Advanced Member

Thanks for checking it. Now I am even more confused.

You are right importing for vertex is fine, but if say I import the obj file in 3DC for Retopology it gets errors.

As well when the 3D Print company opens it in Magics for printing it gets errors everywhere.

Attached is the image they sent me showing the errors.

post-435-0-62319200-1423647769_thumb.jpg