3DCoat Forums

retopo workflow for complex objects

blade33ru

• Advanced Member

im trying to do retopo for characters with several hundred vox layers

at the moment my process is autotopo to topo room then Uv and bake to paint room.  but before painting i go back to voxels and do the next part.

Am i correct in thinking that after each UV session i need to delete the object form the retopo group?  it seems to me that when i bring in the next object that if i try to do UV layour 3d coat wants to layout both objects together  on the same texture space.

Would be nice to have the option to layout one at a time and still have the groups present in retopo room without deleteing just in case

• Contributor

Hide each finished part in the voxel room and hide the finished Retopo Group in the Retopo room. And add a new map in the drop down menu at the top. That way you will get a collection of individual parts in the Paint room, each with it's own UV map. If you want to consolidate these, return to the Retopo room and drag the separate parts to one map.

• Reputable Contributor

For your next step after retopoing... That is if you do not know the method already...

Wow, 700 hundred layers...  You have to be using some UV texture Atlases there... How many UV sets are you creating...

The best way for your use... You bake the entire retopo/voxel layers and separate UV sets in only once baking pass...

It will take care of any occlusion problems...

The video...

• Advanced Member

oh man thats a really useful technique thanks for posting.  im at the stage where ive just been modelling really and starting to get serious about producing production level assets out of it  si i havent done too much on the UV side.  at the moment im autotoping cutting some uvs often with various uv sets and baking out ....but i'd found it kind of messy.  i think this video addresses the main problem

im interested also in batch decimation...i notice theres a way to write scripts but has anyone tried that already?  basically just crank through the tree decimating at a specified percentage and moving the objects into a new parent where it is easy to export the scene

• Contributor

oh man thats a really useful technique thanks for posting. im at the stage where ive just been modelling really and starting to get serious about producing production level assets out of it si i havent done too much on the UV side. at the moment im autotoping cutting some uvs often with various uv sets and baking out ....but i'd found it kind of messy. i think this video addresses the main problem

im interested also in batch decimation...i notice theres a way to write scripts but has anyone tried that already? basically just crank through the tree decimating at a specified percentage and moving the objects into a new parent where it is easy to export the scene

Scripting is supported in 3D-Coat with Angelscript. Some users on this forum have written and shared useful scripts.

For example:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17561