3DCoat Forums

Back into 3DC

sculptactive

• Advanced Member

Just checking back in in. Long time supporter, but I needed to get some projects completed and as I new Zbrush better, I put 3DC to one side.

This week I put some time aside to get to know 3DC again. WOW so many new features. Very impressed.

I cannot believe some people here have complained about Andrews pricing. From the begining he has had a great pricing policy and great support for his product.

On the subject of support and changes, there is one very small thing that I still would like changed.

I have said it before, but for me it's worth repeating. When using the pen to rotate, instead of using 9 and 0, it IMO would be better to use the RMB left/right.

It simple give the user a more intercative experience. Look forward to 3.0

• Advanced Member
Welcome back!

Btw, RMB is now used to change depth/radius. So if you have idea about rotation please tell.

Hi Andrew,

I assume your talking about 3.0 having RMB for the depth/radius. If it was up to me I would have MMB depth/radius and RMB Rotation.

At the very least I would put RMB as Rotation and put the depth/radius back to keys.

Both these actions are important. The more the user feels connected to the action (tapping a key is an extra step) the better, but the Rotation action is used constantly, especially on very organic forms.

I know this was discussed earlier and I was not alone in wanting the RMB for Rotation.

Hi Andrew,

I assume your talking about 3.0 having RMB for the depth/radius. If it was up to me I would have MMB depth/radius and RMB Rotation.

At the very least I would put RMB as Rotation and put the depth/radius back to keys.

Both these actions are important. The more the user feels connected to the action (tapping a key is an extra step) the better, but the Rotation action is used constantly, especially on very organic forms.

I know this was discussed earlier and I was not alone in wanting the RMB for Rotation.

I'l have to disagree -- I use a lot more the depth/radius, RMB for them!! ;)

• Advanced Member
I'l have to disagree -- I use a lot more the depth/radius, RMB for them!! ;)

This is clearly going to be "swings and Roundabouts".

The point is Radius/Rotation/Depth all need to be as intuative to the user as possible. As if you really are using a pen.

To not have one action on the mouse button will clearly make the pen ackward to use for some.

Andrew. How about this.

Action - Click/Hold down mouse and drag in Pen mode.

LMB Up/Down - Radius

LMB Right/Left - Rotation

RMB Up/Down- Depth

RMB Right/Left - Falloff

This is clearly going to be "swings and Roundabouts".

The point is Radius/Rotation/Depth all need to be as intuative to the user as possible. As if you really are using a pen.

To not have one action on the mouse button will clearly make the pen ackward to use for some.

Andrew. How about this.

Action - Click/Hold down mouse and drag in Pen mode.

LMB Up/Down - Radius

LMB Right/Left - Rotation

RMB Up/Down- Depth

RMB Right/Left - Falloff.

This is surely the best setup (OF COURSE HE MEANT MMB INSTEAD OF LMB!!!!)

• Advanced Member

In corel painter it use the orientation of your pen tablet.

That can be used like that for those who want to use it, you make feature who allow you to control the rotation from the orientation of your pen and you don't have to waste an other hotkey.

You can try corel painter, there is a trial so you can see how it works.

Normally it works by default, you have a little line who represent your pen and the orientation change with the orientation of your pen tablet.

• Advanced Member
In corel painter it use the orientation of your pen tablet.

That can be used like that for those who want to use it, you make feature who allow you to control the rotation from the orientation of your pen and you don't have to waste an other hotkey.

You can try corel painter, there is a trial so you can see how it works.

Normally it works by default, you have a little line who represent your pen and the orientation change with the orientation of your pen tablet.

Yeah it's called "pen tilt" in photoshop, unfortunately only Intuos class teblets have this property, not for low profile ones like Bamboo/Bamboo fun/Graphire.

So I don't think it's properly using pen tilt as the default control of rotation for every machine.

akira.