3DCoat Forums

Crisp hard edge

Dobby

Hi,

I'm new and just finding the ways of 3DCoat. I'd really like to use it instead of ZBrush, but am quite shaped by it in terms of workflow/technical understanding. I'm by no means a pro, but spent quite some time in it and now could use some help in transferring to 3DC. There are many questions, but I'll just start with this one:

How do I get a really hard, crisp edge all round the circular area, keeping the rest of the shape spherical as is?

make hard edge.JPG

In ZBrush I'd go the way: Cut off side -> polygroup the planar part -> make edge hard by edgeloops.

zbrush comparison.JPG

I tried around (and searched for tutorials on the official yt-channel and this forum), but couldn't get a satisfying solution. I do not think it's the polycount, rather the orientation/edgeflow of the polies.

1.JPG

The angulator brush did not give the desired result. This issue might be linked to my lack of understanding when to use voxel and when to use surfacemode/polys.

angulator.JPG

Would be grateful for any help!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cut-Off does indeed produce a crisp edge in surface mode. However:

1) Would I need to manually retopo if I wish the edges to flow accordingly?

2) What do I do, if I need some other edge that has already been sculpted (I can't cut anymore) to be sharpened in this way? Or is cut-off the only option?

• Reputable Contributor

When working with Voxels...don't think polygons. Think PIXELS, because that is precisely what Voxels are....just 3-Dimensional cubic pixels. Just like in Photoshop, if your graphics/ lines are pixelated, that indicates your image size/DPI is too low. So, you will need quite a bit of resolution to maintain crisp edges. In Surface mode, you don't need nearly as much, since you have dynamic subdivision. When you use the Cutoff tool, it has built-in Dynamic Subdivision working. That's how you get the super crisp edges.

Other techniques would involve using the FLATTEN Brush, with the ON PLANE option checked in the Tool Bar (above the viewport). Maybe selecting the area you want crisp edges with the SUBDIVIDE brush in Surface mode > APPLY to selection > then use Angulator, Flatten, Pose tool (it's the modeling Swiss Army knife in the Sculpt Room), etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...