3DCoat Forums

Spline tool booleans

blade33ru

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to turn off automatic booleaning of curve splines using surfaces.  It would be nice to create  tank tracks for example using low poly techniques, import a single piece then propogate it using the curve tool.

However 3d coat always wants to boolean the shapes together and it always fails.  Wouldnt it be nice to just have an option to let the meshes overlap and the tools would become very useful

• Advanced Member

NO, that shows the basic curves working in voxel mode.  What im talking about is having a piece with specific topology -such as a retopo object-into the spline then pressing enter when the vox tree layer is in surface mode.  this would allow you for example to create tank tracks with perfect topology.   try it now and 3d coat attempts to boolean all the individual spline objects together and it fails so you have to use voxels and lose the excellent topology.

If it had an option to not boolean the individual repated objects of the  new spline when the vox layer is in surface mode it would be way way more useful

• Contributor

Maybe I don't understand the question, but I was creating multiple gallows loops for a couple of assets a few months ago and I didn't encounter the problem you're having. 3D-Coat never informed me of failed boolean operations, because it never used them. All of the hipoly loops were made with curves tool and a VoxTree layer in surface mode and the only problem I had is that the curves, when exported and reimported into the scene, didn't keep the type of their CVs (B-Spline, Bezier or Sharp).

Could you perhaps post either the .curves file or your .3b file (if it's not NDA), so we can inspect it?

Perhaps, if you're laying out two separate curves, you should keep them on separate VoxTree layers?

Edited by ajz3d