3DCoat Forums

Retopo Pointers

lewis2e

Hi All

I am looking for some retopo pointers. Essentially, "how would you do this in 3D Coat?". I hoping someone might be kind enough to oblige, and share some wisdom.

Issue 1 - Symmetry

In the attached screenshot, you can see that I have already created geometry for a raised circle shape. The faces are Green. This circle shape lies on the symmetry line of my object.

I used the strokes tool to do this, but I had symmetry and virtual mirror mode on at the time. Everything looked OK at first, but if I disabled symmetry and re-enabled it, things looked wrong (i.e. duplicated geometry). Weirdly, if I disabled and enabled virtual mirror mode, it looked OK again, until I disabled and re-enabled visibility of the object...

I realise that's hard to follow, but it's almost like the view-port wasn't updating properly. It was very confusing.

Basically - how would you retopo a circular object that lies on the line of symmetry of your object? Taking into account you want symmetry.

Issue 2 - Inaccessible Geometry

Also in the screenshot you can see that I am trying to retopo another part of the model with the strokes tool.

I am struggling to do this, however, as I can't really get a loop around that inner protrusion. I am really missing a circular loop from the middle there, but I can't "get at it" properly to draw one.

Basically - how do you deal with trying to retopo objects that have hard to get to places?

That's it. Any tips or pointers are much appreciated.

RetopoExample.png

I find just using one or the other but not both leads to less wtf :)

I think you need to work on the right side with the virtual mirror because the left side is the reflection, with just symmetry you can work on either side (or at least I can XD).  Virtual mirror is probably better if you need the thing to stay perfectly symmetrical at all times as you can lose symmetry (sometimes apparently randomly) with just symmetry mode.

9 hours ago, ryivhnn said:

I find just using one or the other but not both leads to less wtf :)

I think you need to work on the right side with the virtual mirror because the left side is the reflection, with just symmetry you can work on either side (or at least I can XD).  Virtual mirror is probably better if you need the thing to stay perfectly symmetrical at all times as you can lose symmetry (sometimes apparently randomly) with just symmetry mode.

Thanks, that's extremely helpful.

I think that a lot of my problem came from not properly understanding how virtual mirror mode actually works (i.e. that it is just showing you a reflection, and that actual geometry is still hidden underneath until you apply it). Now I understand that, it is less confusing.

My only remaining problem is that my reflection and "real" side seem to flip from time to time, but I can manage that.

Thanks very much.