3DCoat Forums

[Solved] flawed Curvature Map

Ridnic

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with the generated curvature Map thats needed for materials to work properly.
As you can see in the picture some edges do not receive any curvature values and the applied Material then fails to apply edge wear.

I tried obj and fbx Import from Cinema 4D with Auto Smoothing Groups on the import options checked.

Any ideas?

curvature.png

Stromkasten03.obj not have UV maps.

Stromkasten04.fbx has this uv map.

UVmap.jpg

In order for the texture to appear properly it must be uv mapped with all mapping parameters at their defaults.
3DCoat have the ability to generate a UV map based on your imported model file (UV map typing = Auto-mapping).

Auto.jpg

Result

Curvature.jpg

• Like 1

From the last test, your model -flawed_curvature_01.3b- dont have material assigned, i exported it and added one material phong in external app.

Then after import and perform the same operation got this result.

Usually i do this first steps at high res -4K- and downsize the maps later, the result is better.

withmaterial.jpg

Are you using any external render engine with custom shaders applied ?

I think the reason our Models look different is the import angle for smoothing groups.
Cinema4D uses a phong Tag and the only way to detect edges on Import is the "Auto Smoothing Groups" option.

Your Map looked more detailed, so I decided to create a much larger Texture Map. At 8k my result was the same as yours.

Do you downsize the textures in 3D Coat? Working with smaller maps is much faster. Too bad the generated maps are not as clean :S

I have been having the same problem for a long time now, my temporary solution has been to bake a curvature map in xNormal or dDo, which I'd really just rather do in 3DC. I have a little time right to get this resolved, so I emailed Andrew about the issue, I'm hoping he fixes this issue. It's a real problem. I'll also forward him this thread.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ridnic said:

With your Model in 3DCoat I get a clean Curvature Map.

Did you import my fbx File?

nope, i used your flawed_curvature_01.zip project.

and had redone the uvmap using Automap tool

Automap.jpg