3DCoat Forums

zbrush->3d coat -> zbrush workflow

greendogsky

Hi,

As a newbie user, i'd like to know, if is there any way to import meshes from Zbrush to 3dcoat with crease information? I generally use Zbrush "zmodeller" tool for hard surface modelling with crease information on it. Regarding creating UVmap, i prefer to use 3d Coat but when i complete UV map, i export that mesh with FBX file. Import it inside Zbrush but realize that all the crease information is getting lost.  It is really painy to re-crease all that faces again. I think i do something wrong or miss. Need you advise. 

Thanks in advance

ST

• Reputable Contributor

I think it's a bit too much to ask for specialty, proprietary features like this, which is a lot like asking developers (not just 3D Coat) to support edge-weighting from NURMS SubD's in 3ds Max. These features don't get transported in the OBJ or FBX files you export, so it is practically impossible for outside software developers to support it. Yes, it may be a bit of a pain, but that is the price of admission, regardless of the app you might export to. The only way I could see it work is if 3D Coat could read native ZBrush files, but I doubt Pixologic would cooperate with Pilgway even if Andrew was willing to put the work in.

Can you not export before you make the creases? Heck, in the Retopo Room, I constantly remind myself to layout the UV's before I start adding a lot of extra loops or any subdivisions, as the UV unwrapping works almost flawlessly if I keep it low poly. Once I start adding subdivisions, it makes it harder for it unwrap nice and clean.

5 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Can you not export before you make the creases? 

yeah this can be accepted as workaround but might cause some pain if i decide to change geometry later for some reasons which may cause re-create UVmap ? i agree with your words regarding admission but i need to foresee if my method is time-efficient or not...

2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

...BTW, I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything in the previous post. I couldn't think of any other way to say it. The issue is in the limitations of the file format (FBX, OBJ), not with 3D Coat.

i totally understand your concern about those file formats that don't support delivering crease info. By the way i've found out (in another forum) that the file format .ma (maya ascii) support delivering crease info but it seems 3d Coat doesn't support importing this file format. (developers probably have some valid reasons though)

Another method could be GoZ (or Applink) between 3D Coat & Zbrush but it seems the plugin is outdated (http://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/) and not beeing developed anymore. (needs to be clarified) 

Thanks 

ST

9 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

If you add creases after Unwrapping UV's, that won't affect the UV's at all. Large scale deformations probably would to some degree or another, but not by adding edgeloops or subdividing.

Yeah this can help. I can do it in my future projects. I'll keep in mind your advice. Thanks again. 

3dcoat is a nice program which has great features and I hope developers can achieve support more file formats and update app links just to give artists more flexibility between different programs. 

BR

ST

1 minute ago, Koray said:

You may experiment with the crease bevel tool on your creases in Zbrush to turn them into real geometry and see if you can uv those?

in order to turn them into real geo, i need to apply dynamic subdiv, which i really dont want to, because polycount increases dramatically. (i want to keep my crease and dynamic subdivs in order i can render my model in keyshot later on. )

thanks anyway. 

ST

I was testing import/export process with a mesh with edge crease without problems.

The model with edge creases was exported as fbx from the original app.

At import -in Paint room- I use the settings attached.

Then i export the same mesh from paint room -as fbx- and opened it in the original app.

The edge creases remains intact.

Have you checked in another app that when exporting from ZBrush respects the edge crease you did originally in your model ?

IO.jpg

i finally have realized that the problem is not originated from 3d Coat or importing/exporting mesh between different programs. In Zbrush, I've also tried to copy+paste UVs between different meshes (subtools) and it deletes crease info anyway when i do copy+paste. 

Like i said before, i am not an experienced cgartist so keep learning by doing some experiments and discovering which programs and features suits me.

Thank you very much all the people who replied me. 

• Like 1