3DCoat Forums

Separate UV maps for different objects

mantasdm

So I made this table which contains 3 different objects. Now how do I import it so all the UV maps doesn't get mashed into one? (Like showed in my screenshot). I want them to stay separate.

Or am I missing something here? Thanks!

Oh and if I click on "Green"- where it says click to select UV set it only shows 1 UV set which is called "Green". And if I'm correct, there should be two more sets.

TableUVW.JPG

Edited by mantasdm

Hi

I feel your pain, as I have always found how 3D Coat handles UV Sets, Paint Objects, Surface Materials etc. extremely confusing. It is really convoluted.

If you export that now you will get one .obj file containing 3 objects (Frame, Hardtop, Pads). Those 3 objects will have their own UV Maps, but the UVs will be distributed like they are in 3D Coat (i.e. they won't take up all of the UV Space, because they won't take up the room that the UVs from the other objects were occupying).

If you want a separate UV Map for each object that takes up all the UV Space, you would need to create 3 separate UV Sets (Frame, Hardtop, Pads). Then move the geometry for each into those UV Sets, and Unwrap again. Then export.

You create new UV Sets by clicking "Add New UV Set" from the top left menu (in your screenshot this shows "Green" as the name of what is currently your only UV Set"). You then move geometry to that UV Set by first selecting it, then changing UV Set, then clicking the drop down menu to the right of that ("Move Selected") and then selecting your new UV Set.

I hope that helps. 

Lewis2e, Yeah that might be what I was looking for! Now couple more newbie questions- How do I delete UV sets without deleting geometry itself and how do I select my part that i want to transfer to some other UV set? Like how do I drag-select all of the faces together or is there some kind of buttom which let's me select all the object at once? Because so far I'm only able to select edges for uv seams.

Edited by mantasdm

3 hours ago, mantasdm said:

Lewis2e, Yeah that might be what I was looking for! Now couple more newbie questions- How do I delete UV sets without deleting geometry itself and how do I select my part that i want to transfer to some other UV set? Like how do I drag-select all of the faces together or is there some kind of buttom which let's me select all the object at once? Because so far I'm only able to select edges for uv seams.

Another good question! lol.

I think (though I might be wrong) that you can only actually select stuff in the 2D panel in the bottom right. I don't think you can select anything in the 3D view while in the UV room. Again, someone may be able to correct me on that.

So you need to change your selection mode to "Islands" at the very top, and then select your islands in the bottom right. Then move them using the Move To menu.

After you move them to the UV Sets that you want, you can then then delete empty UV Sets in the same menu as you used to select them (top left again, showing the label "Green" in your screenshot).

I don't think there is a "Select All" in the UV room, or anything similar. I'd love to know if there is one.

Don't forget to either unwrap again, or hit "Shuffle/Pack" (on the left panel) after moving, which should expand your UVs into the available space. Finally you need to hit "Apply-UV Set" (on the left again) to commit all your changes.

Hope that helps.