3DCoat Forums

Retopo Room: Some more questions

Findus

• Advanced Member

I thought I'd make a thread where I can put all future question that might come up in regards to 3d Coats's retopo tools.

Is it possible to refine stroke guides after they have been created? (Insert additional vertices)

Is it possible to manipulate cross sections added with the Strokes tool? (Only thing I found is that I'm able to delete them)

I like the Additional Extrusion option for the retopo mesh, in fact I like it a lot better than the Z-Bias option, because I see better what's actually going on with the mesh.
However it seems like vertices get projected through the mesh (probably to the other side) frequently when this option is activated. Similar experiences, workarounds?

Edited by Findus

• Advanced Member

So I tried to find a way to copy mesh-parts including their corresponding retopo meshes.

What I do right now is to delete all other parts of the mesh and retopo mesh move the mesh out of the way with Conform Retopo Mesh activated and safe the part as a separate 3b file.

When I then use "import 3b file" into the original file I get a copy including retopo mesh.

Is there any quicker way to accomplish this? 

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for your answer, AbnRanger!

My main concern is to get a joined package of sculpt and retopo mesh that I then can copy and move around many times. Importing another 3b file seems to be the only way to get that. (Aside from cloning both the sculpt and retopo mesh separately.) It's tedious to set up, though. (But the merging and distributing of objects is fast after that.)

Or do you mean I should move the retopo mesh to the sculpt room? I assume I could make several copies of a parent child group like that and then have to get the retopo meshes back to the retopo room then.

• Contributor

Is it possible to refine stroke guides after they have been created? (Insert additional vertices)

If you're talking about AUTOPO, then guides are ordinary Strokes from Retopo Room. Switch to this room, select Strokes tool and you can insert or delete points as described in the tooltip. Or at least this is how it worked in the past. It's been a long time since I last used AUTOPO.

However it seems like vertices get projected through the mesh (probably to the other side) frequently when this option is activated. Similar experiences, workarounds?

Happens every time when I'm retopologizing something very thin, like clothes. A simple solution to it could be an introduction of an additional, and a very basic (when compared to the other already present in 3D Coat), snapping algorithm that would raycast vertices from viewport's camera to the first front face that the ray meets.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1