3DCoat Forums

snap model to axis

GED

• Advanced Member

I just thought seeing as we now have quite a complex tool set for the construction of voxel models/sculpts it would be good to have snapping to axis / degrees

for example when you are rotating a primitive object hold down alt key to have it rotate in 10 degree increments along the axis you have chosen to rotate?

also when viewing a voxel sculpt it would be good if you could could hold shift to make it snap to an axis so that you can go straight from front view -> top view-> side view...kinda like zbrush does?

I think this would really make it easier to construct models without needing the standard 4 window viewport.

I just thought seeing as we now have quite a complex tool set for the construction of voxel models/sculpts it would be good to have snapping to axis / degrees

for example when you are rotating a primitive object hold down alt key to have it rotate in 10 degree increments along the axis you have chosen to rotate?

also when viewing a voxel sculpt it would be good if you could could hold shift to make it snap to an axis so that you can go straight from front view -> top view-> side view...kinda like zbrush does?

I think this would really make it easier to construct models without needing the standard 4 window viewport.

Have you tried combo with shift & crtl in promitives tool (discrete motion and rotation, read hint in primitives tool)? I will distribute cube control to other tools soon (to merge and transform).

• Advanced Member
Have you tried combo with shift & crtl in promitives tool (discrete motion and rotation, read hint in primitives tool)? I will distribute cube control to other tools soon (to merge and transform).

no I hadnt tried that until now, thanks Andrew it does help a bit. It still doesnt really do what I would like though, I would like to be able to rotate in increments and to be able to snap my viewer to ,front, top, left, right view by holding a key while rotating the camera the around the sculpt so I can be sure Im only working my objects on x y and z axis and not inbetween. do other people know what I mean? like in zbrush when you hold shift to snap the model to front view or whichever view you push your mouse towards?

• Contributor

yeah,I like this zbrush feature a lot

it's a priceless function for navigation when you' re workin on hard surface stuff or doing transformations,deformations and projections

and surely it would be great having this in 3DCoat,especially when using E panel for cutting.

I would aloso like 3DCoat camera shortcuts to store zoom information as well,

a camera shorcut is not very usefull without zoom information.(for baking xvoxshaders to lowpoly ,it's hard without zoom information in camera shortcuts)

• Applink Developer

Hi Everybody! This is something that I would like to see too. I have been using View->show 2d grid and it works quite well with E-panel. I would like to have a option that I can lock 2d grid when I'm zooming&move viewport that it will follow my 3d grid if you follow me??. when using 2d grid you can press shift and press rotate button and it will rotate only 30 degrees.

In the future I would like to see symmetry improves that I can scult using XY-symmetry same time for example.