3DCoat Forums

Export to FBX

I'd like to be able to export FBX files in addition to importing them. I use Cheetah and Unity and prefer to use the .jas or .fbx formats. Since Cheetah and Unity both support the FBX format this works out well. However to write over my original FBX models which I painted in 3DCoat I have to export as OBJ, then open in Cheetah and resave as FBX. That's an extra step which breaks my workflow and seems unnecessary.

Jeff

I'd like to be able to export FBX files in addition to importing them. I use Cheetah and Unity and prefer to use the .jas or .fbx formats. Since Cheetah and Unity both support the FBX format this works out well. However to write over my original FBX models which I painted in 3DCoat I have to export as OBJ, then open in Cheetah and resave as FBX. That's an extra step which breaks my workflow and seems unnecessary.

Jeff

I can make FBX export, but the problem is that it is difficult to preserve all metadata like animation, rigging etc...

But once I will do that. There is not so long way to do that.

• Advanced Member

Jeff

It's none of my business but why can't you just save your UVs painted in 3D-Coat and open them in Cheetah and Unity. I guess what I'm saying is I don't

understand the need to export an obj. Unless of course you are doing the UV mapping in 3D-Coat.

It's none of my business but why can't you just save your UVs painted in 3D-Coat and open them in Cheetah and Unity. I guess what I'm saying is I don't

understand the need to export an obj. Unless of course you are doing the UV mapping in 3D-Coat.

FBX is a very useful format that I too would like to see fully supported, like Andrew said, their is a lot of extra information that 3DC does not use. Unfortunately the current import does no preserve this information, so valuable data like animation/rigging is lost. This then adds to the steps in workflow by having to re-apply this information because 3DC removes it.

• Advanced Member

It would be very cool and useful if we can pose our characters inside 3DC using the rigging and skinning data of fbx or collada files.

That would be much easier for making stressed/rest normal maps for real-time blending.