3DCoat Forums

Cant Import Substance Painter Textures

andykarta

I've made a set of textures in substance painter and want to import them into Coat.

Coat doesn't seem to want to take them.  It just does nothing.  It doesn't even think about it or freeze.  It's like it said, 'nope.'

I can open the same textures  in Cinema 4d and they look right.  I'll then save it as an obj with the textures and try to open it in coat.  And the obj opens and there's a new paint layer.  But it seems blank and doesn't appear on either on the tex editor or the viewer.

But then....I open the substance painter files in Photoshop and just create a new file of the same size (4K), paste in place, save as a tif (same format I saved originally though I've also tried jpeg) and it imports fine. 

But then I open up the same kind of file but one I made in Coat and it opens just fine even if the UV map is different. 

After the troubleshooting I've done, I believe the 3D Coat and Substance Painter are feuding. 

I really don't care about doing the extra step to get things workin.  But this is totally out of left field and I want to know what's going on for when it becomes an issue since I plan to use both programs a lot.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:52 AM, AbnRanger said:

What format are the texture files in? If a Substance format, it won't work. With them being a competitor in the Texture Painting space, they don't want to collaborate on file support. Try exporting texture maps as .PNG or .TGA

I've been using Tif files cuz tga and png don't make thumbnails.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:38 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi 

Are you using latest version 4.8.33 ?

Have you used the menu Textures > Import ?

I was at .03 for some reason.  Updated now.  Same thing happens.

I only use the Textures Import menu.

And again, the weirdness here is if I make a new photoshop file, even my favorite tif format, it works hunky dory.  So something's happening under the hood.  Could it be something with the proceedural alpha I'm using in SP.  Just a shot in the dark but I applied only red paint and it imported fine.  But the crazy stuff makes Coat say 'no way, no how'.  In fact, it doesn't even say it.  No error no nothing.  And there is a UV map in case you're wondering. 

• Reputable Contributor

Then that's something Andrew should know about. Send an email to support@3dcoat.com and try to zip all the texture files > try to attach in the email. Before you do that, try a few sample models, like the default 3DCoat Material sphere or Robot. Export <> Import to Substance > test paint > export back to 3DCoat. If that still creates a problem, then it is indeed something Andrew will have to diagnose.