3DCoat Forums

Creating kitbash modular assets workflow...

Innovine

• Advanced Member

I am interested in creating several modular, grid-based interlocking objects, which I'd then move around and duplicate on a grid in my game engine to build my scene. The objects should all be using the same UV space and texture image.  I need some help with a suitable workflow for working with this in 3d coat.

I spent quite some time yesterday modelling pieces in blender (I like the low poly modelling there better). I managed to import these to the sculpt room, added some minor detail, and imported them again as retopo meshes. I was not able to get 3d coat to load the individual objects in the .fbx into different layers, so I had to export and import each one manually (annoying, but not the end of the world). I also managed to perform the name correspondance bake. However, when I export the objects and textures, 3d coat is merging all the objects into one. How can I avoid that? I tried exporting the objects one by one, but there's a problem that the normal maps are not merged, and the last one exported has all the previous objects normals blank.

In Blender, I've placed the origin of the objects at the same place, so they can more easily be moved around on a grid later. This means that they all display in the same place in 3dcoat, which is ok, but not if it merges them together on export! It's really annoying to try and move an object in the retopo room, as the transform tool works on the visible objects, not the current layer. How can I work around this, it's really nasty to have to move objects when you can't see the ones around it.

How would you improve on this workflow?  I'm doing my texturing in Substance Painter, and it'd be a really useful thing to be able to toggle object visibility on and off in both 3d coat sculpt and substance painter, so I can better see how they look together. I'm open to any suggestions on how to go about this in a better way as these tests were filled with pain :)   

If you separate every object by UVset, then after bake on paint room you can find individual Surface Material (material) by object

If you separate every object by RetopoObjects, then after bake On paint room you can have individual Paint Objects (object)

UVset = SurfaceMaterial = Material

Retopo Group = PaintObject = Object

Windows > Popups > SurfaceMaterial

Windows > Popups > PaintObjects

Export it as fbx to blender