3DCoat Forums

How to rotate model

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Hi...

I'm attempting to use symmetry on my model. However I want the symmetry plane to be centered between the models nostrils (marked with red circle) to the back of his head (also red circle). At present the symmetry plane is passing from in front of his left eye to behind his right eye...

This is using Z symmetry...

I know how to rotate around the model... But I wish to rotate the model so that it aligns properly with the symmetry plane...

Thanks kindly

Ken

post-1298-1241731241_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

In case your wondering I also tried the X symmetry....

See attached....

post-1298-1241731739_thumb.jpg

I'm not aware of any way to do this with a polygonal mesh inside of 3DC. You can of course rotate with a voxel sculpt.

It looks like your mesh was already rotated upon importing it, I would go back to your main package (where you modeled it, or any other 3D package) and rotate it so it's where you need it and then import it again.

• Advanced Member
I'm not aware of any way to do this with a polygonal mesh inside of 3DC. You can of course rotate with a voxel sculpt.

It looks like your mesh was already rotated upon importing it, I would go back to your main package (where you modeled it, or any other 3D package) and rotate it so it's where you need it and then import it again.

Thank you kindly...that worked.... Too bad that function wasn't within 3DC... Listening Andeww...??? LOL

And if not for Gary Miller's fine tutorials at Geekatplay.com I would still be struggling with 3DC... Don't get me wrong 3C is a fantastic app but when it comes to 3D I'm still a dummy...

Cheers

Kenmo

• Advanced Member
You can do it in 3D-Coat.

Go to Sculpt mode, Click "Select/Move" button, Click "Select objects", then click on the model, click "Rotate" button, rotate the model, done.

Just tried it...it rotates the camera... I want to rotate the model and not rotate around the model....

• Advanced Member

you'll need to select all the polygons while in 'Sculpt' mode for it to work (tried by 'Select objects', but

for whatever reason it's not working that way).

In 'Sculpt' panel:

- choose ->Select/Move

- under Work mode panel choose -> 'Select with pen or rectangle'

- hit 'E' key to choose the square 'Paint with rectangle'

- draw a square around your whole model

- switch to 'Rotate' and rotate as needed

downside...no numeric control and you can't really see where your symmetry plane will line up

(since if you leave symmetry on, it will affect your model)

Bottom line: probably far easier to just rotate it to the 'center' you want in your modeling program. :D

*edit* ooops, 'Select objects' will work too instead of doing the 'E' panel way...just tried now and it worked.

post-475-1241819329_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Just tried it...it rotates the camera... I want to rotate the model and not rotate around the model....

No, it rotates the model, not the camera. Did you follow the steps I described? You need to Click on the model after click "Select objects" button, after click on the model then click "Rotate" button, the order is important.

• Advanced Member

Ok...got it now...it worked....

Thanks....