3DCoat Forums

Retopology complex hard surface shape

davide445

Returning to 3d-Coat after years out of desperation since I need a cleaned mesh to run a Maya Bifrost simulation on it.

I'm neither an expert on 3DC neither on Maya, just interested to enable the simulation part (even if I dream some day to use properly 3DC for a personal project I'm planning).

Using Maya Retopology tool create some bad result such as this one

image.png.b6db52e56c5f82b6614e7d7cad2333ff.png

This is the complete model (the front blade of a snow groomer), already decimated on 3ds Max

image.png.9a1704152495544d3c3de28015442767.png

Testing Autotopo, Instant Meshes and old-style quadrangulation I find better information than Maya (no preview nothing in Maya) but no good results.

Wanted to ask i.e. if I need to paint flow lines/edges around every single square hole in the upper part.

• Advanced Member

Try quad remesher for maya if 3dcoat autotopo not working for you.
Are you sure need to remove all polygon with decimation? I am not sure about bifrost some simulations likes dense topology for more accurate simulation with physics collision

Edited by sprayer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sprayer said:

Try quad remesher for maya if 3dcoat autotopo not working for you.
Are you sure need to remove all polygon with decimation? I am not sure about bifrost some simulations likes dense topology for more accurate simulation with physics collision

I have problems exatcly with the colliders. The object it's 1.8cm thick and even setting the particles and collision details to 2cm (meaning about 1h50min of frame sim time on a 48 thread machine) I got particles leaking trough the collider. Trying to solve the problem having a clean quad topology seems a good point.

I'm not so concerned about decimation anymore, more importat to have a clean quad topology.

3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi 

Will be hard to retopo as one piece. Can you split parts to join it later ?

Hope it help

If there is no other way, I suppose I can. Will be not the same to paint the upper part with the holes as a more dense for retopo? I think there lie the problem.

Edited by davide445

Fearing that will be the solution.

A couple of questions:

- since the most complex part will be the upper side with the square holes, there is any way to "copy&paste" the retopo done on one hole to the others? Just to don't need to do all the work manually

- I tried anyway to retopo using the different methods, but when I try to export the result to fbx to be used in Maya, I find it back triangulated. I didn't find a way to prevent this.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, davide445 said:

- I tried anyway to retopo using the different methods, but when I try to export the result to fbx to be used in Maya, I find it back triangulated. I didn't find a way to prevent this.

To me 3dcoat exporting quads, try update to latest version, you may try obj format, check settings at import in maya. But even triangles if you need model for simulation i think it doesn't matter as i know colliders using only vertex position. By the way in maya should be the way to convert into quads, i am 3ds max user there is qualify mesh modifier for that, also there is tool qualify all what reconstruct triangles to quad without changing topology.

Tried to use 3ds Max new Retopology Tool 1.1 and the result it's still bad even if not so distorted as I got from 3d Coat or Maya retopo:

davide445_1-1630423673623.thumb.png.3774ef6d523fdb902d64e85c5ba07d1c.png

Doing the sim seems it works in some way as expected (not entierly but at least the specific problem I was trying to solve) even using the original poly shape.

So before going on with the for sure effort intensive manual retopo I will follow on with the polygonal shape.