3DCoat Forums

Subtracting Volumes?...

WillBellJr

I'm trying to come to grips with learning the Voxel toolset.

I've been using 3DC to make asteroids for my games - using Voxels and retopo is working out very well...

(I know, I couldl prolly simply use a sphere and sculpting but where's the fun in that?? :rolleyes: )

For some of the special asteroids in my game, I'd like for them to break up in pieces when hit but instead of just hiding the original and spawing up a bunch of random smaller 'roids, I'd prefer to build my asteroid into say 2-4 or so parts and then seperate them in-game to maintain the appearance of it being the same asteroid.

As a test, I've created 2 Vox subobjects and shaped the individuals to form the whole asteroid.

To export the 2 subobjects together I'm assuming I need to export the voxel scene?

Previously I was simply exporting for pixel painting which would do the retopo for me and everything else.

The one thing I'm wondering is, can Voxels be booleaned or in my case, I'd like to lose the parts of subobject2 that intersects with subobject1.

This would give me the cracked or broken off edge that would result instead of the way I have it now - 2 rocks pushed together with #2 penetrating #1 by various degrees.

I guess I could do this within another application (w/booleans etc.,) but I'm trying to get some use out of 3DC now as much as possible...

Any tips or thoughts on how to do this with 3DC are appreciated!

-Will

EDIT: LOL, Right clicking on the 2nd subobject I see there was a subtract function - EXCELLENT, just what I needed.

I see I need to make a copy of the sub first before I perform the subtraction.

Next I have to see how I can export both objects (seperately) now for retopo...

Subtracting is one of my favourite things to do with voxels. It's real easy and you get some great looking stuff if done right...

Anther thing you can do, is to use the cut and clone tool to make similar looking parts, or the split tool to truly break up a a volume object.

• Advanced Member

I have created a Voronoi plugin for creating ROCKY/CRYSTALINE organic structures with Wings3D.

Might or might not help make asteroids.

I know I'd use it to make some rocks.

Plugin requires an older version of Wing3D I think.

It's fairly weird and unique plugin I think.

Based on QHULL command line tool ... if you want to research that.