3DCoat Forums

Quadrangulation amount

philnolan3d

I've been thinking about quadrangulation, first of all as I was typing that I decided it needs a nicer name that's easier to say / type. Secondly my main point. Is it just me or does it seem like there's not a really big difference in the settings you pick? See my example below, I'd say these are pretty big extremes and while you can see the difference, the difference isn't really huge. If there was a way to get much finer detail this could easily be a way to compete with Decimation Master. Especially with how clean these polys are and how messy the DM mesh is.

2009-06-08_1708.png

• Advanced Member
I've been thinking about quadrangulation, first of all as I was typing that I decided it needs a nicer name that's easier to say / type. Secondly my main point. Is it just me or does it seem like there's not a really big difference in the settings you pick? See my example below, I'd say these are pretty big extremes and while you can see the difference, the difference isn't really huge. If there was a way to get much finer detail this could easily be a way to compete with Decimation Master. Especially with how clean these polys are and how messy the DM mesh is.

Phil, I agree about the name "Quadrangulation" far too long for starters. IMO a shorter name is needed.

post-920-1244505233_thumb.png

Interesting, the left mesh has "more" polygons but "less" detail at #3 but more detail at #1 than the right mesh at #2. The right mesh has less polygons but "more" detail at #4 because the smoothing is set higher.

I want to try a mesh with the same poly count like 0.5 but with smoothing at 1.00 and at 30 to see the difference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
That could work. I was thinking Auto-Retopo had a nice ring to it and tells you what it does.

Well I think retopology is a somewhat universal term in 3D so I like "Auto-Retop" and I agree it would help if it tells you what it does. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know what we need to make quadrangulation truly outstanding? Arbitrary placement of poles. Those would be simple "big red spheres" that we would place on top of the original voxel model, and would work as "topology magnets", that would signal to the system that this is a spot where it's okay to have extraordinary vertices, in practice attracting mode edges towards it.

On top of that, each of these "pole magnets" would have a strength setting. Zero Strength would mean pole absolutely unwanted (ie. regular four edges crossing), strength = 1 would mean an optimal spot for an Y-pole (3-edges), a strength of 2 would mean ideal star-pole (5-edges) spot and a strength of 4 or more would mean extraodinary poles (6+ edges) accepted - probably useful at the center of very flat areas that would never be deformed in animation.

Guess I'll post this on feature request as well, this would be a terrific feature that would surely make even the denser critics of 3DCoat rethink their points of view :)

• Advanced Member

Perhaps Andrew could add a Decimate option alongside the Quadrangulate. The decimate process could be used for hard edged stuff.

So instead of Quadrangulate in the voxel menu, there would be a 'Polygonize' and 'Polygonize and Paint'. This would then bring up a panel that lets you select Decimate or Quadragulate mode.