3DCoat Forums

New to 3D Coat here please help

NLPLP

Question

HI all!!

Im trying to transfer my workflow form Zbrush so please excuse my questions

Im very excited about using curves and Im trying to figure out how to sculpt extrude to a curve which is outside of the actual mesh. Kind of what the clip curve in Zbrush does.

What Im looking for is in  the "2D curves to 3D Coat"  beginner video, but I cant seem to figure out how all that is done since there is no sound. I did my best to duplicate this workflow on the demo but I just cant do so.

Any tips please?

Edited by NLPLP

10 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
27 minutes ago, NLPLP said:

Hey thanks for the reply Fluffy!

Here s the video

How do those curves work with the sphere tool? I can only make it work with  the vertex lasso not splines

Also How does he boolean?

It looks like the method they're using in that video utilizing the Sphere tool is by using it in conjunction with the Fill inside projection option which you can find by right-clicking on the curve in the main window or in the Curves Tree panel.

image.jpeg.a2f20dd8563823f4070cf858d95768fc.jpeg

However it looks like they may be using an older version of 3D Coat since the tool options for the Sphere tool are different from the ones in version 2022.55.  The object above was instead created using the Blob tool (located directly above the Sphere tool) which still has the Round Border option seen in the video.

Other than using the Blob tool instead of the Sphere tool the process used to create the object in the above image is the same.  With your curves loaded switch to Top view and make sure you're using Orthographic projection rather than Perspective then with the Blob tool selected right click the required curve and choose Fill inside projection (the radius of the brush dictates how thick the resulting object will be).

Personally I'd recommend trying an alternative method of using Curves.  Instead of choosing Fill inside projection from the menu, try using Fill with Mesh Layer (located further down the same menu) instead.  It creates a new layer in surface mode and generates a mesh object based on the selected curve and provides a set of options which allow you to set thickness, mesh density, relaxation, etc. as well as allowing you to choose between flat or round edges or defining your own custom edge shape and allowing you to add holes by creating more curves on a sub-layer of the current curve.

image.jpeg.2828dfeffd77a81d5c857d9300d94e5e.jpeg

Better yet when using Fill with Mesh Layer the mesh object and the curve remain linked so when you adjust the shape of the curve, the custom edge shape or various other settings used to create the object, those changes are automatically applied to the object until such time as you choose to unlink them.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, NLPLP said:

Hey thanks for the reply Fluffy!

Here s the video

How do those curves work with the sphere tool? I can only make it work with  the vertex lasso not splines

Also How does he boolean?

Let me try to assist a little bit. I think I know what you mean, but I may be off target. 

1) If you want to import a Vector shape from something like an Illustrator file, make sure to save the Illustrator file as an EPS file. 

2) In the Sculpt Workspace, go to the CURVES menu and choose LOAD CURVE or LOAD CURVE FROM IMAGE

With the Curves now in 3DCoat, you can use a number of tools to add volume, but something like the Sphere tool will work...

3) Select the CLOSED SPLINE draw mode, on the right side of the E-Panel (hit the E key to bring the panel to your cursor)

4) Select the the first icon...the SEGMENT selection tool > select the shape/curve you want to fill

5) RMB click on the curve and choose FILL INSIDE PROJECTION....but you can also choose BRUSH ALONG CURVE to make it fill just along the curve.

6) There are boolean operations you can use from the CURVES Menu > CURVES OPERATIONS....but you could also just select the curve that would cut/subtract when you repeat step 5, except this time you hold down CTRL while doing it. 

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor
52 minutes ago, NLPLP said:

HI all!!

Im trying to transfer my workflow form Zbrush so please excuse my questions

Im very excited about using curves and Im trying to figure out how to sculpt extrude to a curve which is outside of the actual mesh. Kind of what the clip curve in Zbrush does.

What Im looking for is in  the "2D curves to 3D Coat"  beginner video, but I cant seem to figure out how all that is done since there is no sound. I did my best to duplicate this workflow on the demo but I just cant do so.

Any tips please?

You may need to be a little more specific since 3D Coat contains both a Curves tool and also a completely unrelated Curves feature with it's own menu and editor.  Perhaps you could provide a link to the video in question (preferably with a timestamp)?

2 hours ago, Fluffy said:

It looks like the method they're using in that video utilizing the Sphere tool is by using it in conjunction with the Fill inside projection option which you can find by right-clicking on the curve in the main window or in the Curves Tree panel.

image.jpeg.a2f20dd8563823f4070cf858d95768fc.jpeg

However it looks like they may be using an older version of 3D Coat since the tool options for the Sphere tool are different from the ones in version 2022.55.  The object above was instead created using the Blob tool (located directly above the Sphere tool) which still has the Round Border option seen in the video.

Other than using the Blob tool instead of the Sphere tool the process used to create the object in the above image is the same.  With your curves loaded switch to Top view and make sure you're using Orthographic projection rather than Perspective then with the Blob tool selected right click the required curve and choose Fill inside projection (the radius of the brush dictates how thick the resulting object will be).

Personally I'd recommend trying an alternative method of using Curves.  Instead of choosing Fill inside projection from the menu, try using Fill with Mesh Layer (located further down the same menu) instead.  It creates a new layer in surface mode and generates a mesh object based on the selected curve and provides a set of options which allow you to set thickness, mesh density, relaxation, etc. as well as allowing you to choose between flat or round edges or defining your own custom edge shape and allowing you to add holes by creating more curves on a sub-layer of the current curve.

image.jpeg.2828dfeffd77a81d5c857d9300d94e5e.jpeg

Better yet when using Fill with Mesh Layer the mesh object and the curve remain linked so when you adjust the shape of the curve, the custom edge shape or various other settings used to create the object, those changes are automatically applied to the object until such time as you choose to unlink them.

OK great thanks that helped. 

When using the fill with Mesh Layer, if I convert to Voxels (or Multires in surface mode) I loose my sharp edges. Is there a way to maintain sharp edges when using this method? Also is there a way to booleanthose 2 voxel layers in the screenshot (subtract small from the large one)?

Screenshot 2023-01-03 165254.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
44 minutes ago, NLPLP said:

OK great thanks that helped. 

When using the fill with Mesh Layer, if I convert to Voxels (or Multires in surface mode) I loose my sharp edges. Is there a way to maintain sharp edges when using this method? Also is there a way to booleanthose 2 voxel layers in the screenshot (subtract small from the large one)?

Screenshot 2023-01-03 165254.jpg

If you want to swap to Voxels you may need to increase the resolution of the voxel layer in order to retain sharp edges or fine detail.  Keep in mind that increasing the resolution of a voxel layer increases the resolution of the entire object so you can end up with a lot of polygons on screen when working with large objects.

I normally try to perform boolean operations in Voxel mode since they're usually more reliable but if you want to retain sharp edges without using very high resolution voxel objects then you can try staying in Surface mode.  Either way you can boolean two layers together by right clicking one of the layers and choosing one of the boolean options (Merge With, Subtract From, Intersect With, etc.) then selecting the other layer.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a81f7b3acc1897dfec8b25d345cb860.jpeg

12 hours ago, Fluffy said:

If you want to swap to Voxels you may need to increase the resolution of the voxel layer in order to retain sharp edges or fine detail.  Keep in mind that increasing the resolution of a voxel layer increases the resolution of the entire object so you can end up with a lot of polygons on screen when working with large objects.

I normally try to perform boolean operations in Voxel mode since they're usually more reliable but if you want to retain sharp edges without using very high resolution voxel objects then you can try staying in Surface mode.  Either way you can boolean two layers together by right clicking one of the layers and choosing one of the boolean options (Merge With, Subtract From, Intersect With, etc.) then selecting the other layer.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a81f7b3acc1897dfec8b25d345cb860.jpeg

Thank you so much fluffy.

My main objective is hard surface modeling. Isnt voxel mode the preffered method for that kind of workflow?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, NLPLP said:

My main objective is hard surface modeling. Isnt voxel mode the preffered method for that kind of workflow?

That's actually a tough question and the short answer is it depends on how hard you want your hard surfaces.

Technically I'd say the opposite is true and that Voxels are better for organic modelling and the initial blocking out phase while Surface mode is better for hard surface modelling since it's a lot easier to retain hard edges while manipulating your model BUT...

There are a variety of tools and methods you can use in Voxel mode which, as long as you keep your voxel layer at a reasonably high resolution and avoid operations that apply automatic smoothing, will allow you to create some pretty nice hard surface models using voxels.

If you want to do hard surface modelling in 3D Coat I'd highly recommend checking out this awesome series of tutorials by Anton Tenitsky.

Personally I've tried using voxels only, surface mode only and a combination of both and couldn't really advise you on which works best beyond saying that it depends entirely on which workflow you prefer along with the usual factors like what you intend to use the finished piece for.  I'd recommend experimenting with various techniques and workflows to find what works best for you, basically just have fun with it and explore the software for a while. :) 

• Like 1