3DCoat Forums

Could someone explain the general workflow in 3DCoat? Which rooms does what?

Kodra

Question

Sorry for this noob question. I got 3DCoat recently, as its texture painting feature looks very promising. And I did find myself like it more than Blender or Substance Painter.

But so far, while I'm getting more used to Paint Room, the rest of 3DCoat is a mystery for me. Why are there Retopo/Tweak/Modeling rooms? Are they all for editing the low poly model? If Retopo Room is for low-poly and Sculpt Room is for voxel, which rooms should I be in if I'd like to work on a high-poly (like 1~2 millions of polygons) model?

I just have so many questions. Could someone briefly explain which room does what, and what the workflow looks like if I want to do some traditional poly-modeling?

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Hi 

It's hard, if not impossible to do a all in one video, because different people use 3DCoat for different things. So, there is no singular entry point into the application. 

Check Tutorials for beginners section on this forum: 

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/forum/73-beginners-tutorials/

And look the documentation
https://3dcoat.com/documentation/

Hope this help

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 2/14/2023 at 7:49 AM, Kodra said:

Sorry for this noob question. I got 3DCoat recently, as its texture painting feature looks very promising. And I did find myself like it more than Blender or Substance Painter.

But so far, while I'm getting more used to Paint Room, the rest of 3DCoat is a mystery for me. Why are there Retopo/Tweak/Modeling rooms? Are they all for editing the low poly model? If Retopo Room is for low-poly and Sculpt Room is for voxel, which rooms should I be in if I'd like to work on a high-poly (like 1~2 millions of polygons) model?

I just have so many questions. Could someone briefly explain which room does what, and what the workflow looks like if I want to do some traditional poly-modeling?

I've been trying out 3DCoat for a very very long time and I feel you. In my case I cant get past the sculpt room :D :D .

• Advanced Member

You made me purchase the course so here is a quick review of Udemy Nexttut course:

- I skipped the sculpting videos.

- He shows a bit of retopo tools but the Auto retopos everything :D

- He shows a bit of UV tools but Auto UV everything :D

- He shows how to bake normals so you can paint. That kinda demystifies a few stuff for me. 

- I'm skipping the paint part too.

- Renders in 3DCoat. 

- Doesnt show how to export anything to anywhere else. He has many parts and uvs and maps I would've loved to see him take those to say Blender and render there.

I think its an ok purchase for beginners on discount. With that, youtube and forums here, you can figure some things out.

Good luck...

Edited by Koray

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Koray said:

You made me purchase the course so here is a quick review of Udemy Nexttut course:

- I skipped the sculpting videos.

- He shows a bit of retopo tools but the Auto retopos everything :D

- He shows a bit of UV tools but Auto UV everything :D

- He shows how to bake normals so you can paint. That kinda demystifies a few stuff for me. 

- I'm skipping the paint part too.

- Renders in 3DCoat. 

- Doesnt show how to export anything to anywhere else. He has many parts and uvs and maps I would've loved to see him take those to say Blender and render there.

I think its an ok purchase for beginners on discount. With that, youtube and forums here, you can figure some things out.

Good luck...

This series might help a bit, as it is a typical workflow, importing a model from outside 3DCoat > sculpt > re-use original mesh as the Retopo > setup UV's > bake > some texture painting > export back to main app (in this case, Blender)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

This series might help a bit, as it is a typical workflow, importing a model from outside 3DCoat > sculpt > re-use original mesh as the Retopo > setup UV's > bake > some texture painting > export back to main app (in this case, Blender)

Thank you, cheers :)