3DCoat Forums

[Solved] UV Maps seem to vanish

BPBill

Go to solution Solved by BPBill,

This is the only part of this program that is frustrating me. But I create the map, apply it, set it and can see it in UV Preview. Yet when I come back the next day, it's gone off the preview. No idea where. Going to the UV room, it is still applied to the model. Preview is empty. And my paint results seem to imply it doesn't know where it is either. In Paint room, the texture editor is just a solid color. Can't zoom or pan to anything else. I would like to start day two where I finished on day one for once. It's a trial version and I'm a noob. Maybe part of the trial is that you don't get to keep anything going? Would be nice to know that if that is the case.

Hello,

Yes. Started with Retopo, export, then per pixel. And it all seems to work on Day 1. It's great. Day 2, not so much. I have been able to bring the results into other programs on day one. I go back on day two to make edits and notice the issue. 

I had another issue where only some of the smart materials would paint. Spent a few hours on that. It seemed like they were not able to load some images. So I shut it down and re-started. That started working again. 

Saving the Freeze also only worked once or twice. But that might be related to the UV map disappearing. 

I can't find other people complaining about this so I assume I'm just doing something wrong or it's related to being a trial version. 

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, BPBill said:

This is the only part of this program that is frustrating me. But I create the map, apply it, set it and can see it in UV Preview. Yet when I come back the next day, it's gone off the preview. No idea where. Going to the UV room, it is still applied to the model. Preview is empty. And my paint results seem to imply it doesn't know where it is either. In Paint room, the texture editor is just a solid color. Can't zoom or pan to anything else. I would like to start day two where I finished on day one for once. It's a trial version and I'm a noob. Maybe part of the trial is that you don't get to keep anything going? Would be nice to know that if that is the case.

Could you do a screen recording of the issue? I have some ideas about what might be happening, but it is hard to help without seeing what is going on in your scene/UI.

No I can’t video it and It’s not that exciting anyway. The map appears to be a solid color as if the islands are missing. I can’t zoom out or pan other than a sea of same color. Yet they are there on day one. It’s when I come back to a saved project that they are missing. Does 3DCoat not keep everything in its saved project? When I go to the UV room, as I already said, the model appears to have the correct wrapping. When I mouse over, the island appears. But there is no preview of the packed map anymore. Unlike day one. I also can’t seem to unwrap the model again to redo it at this point. It doesn’t update or provide any feedback or error. I can go back to the beginning and day one it again and redo all the seems and painting. Not practical though.

I now think my whole map is actually there. But I suspect a driver issue or conflict. If I turn off preview islands and move over the mesh, the vertices (and only vertices) show where I'd expect them to be in the preview. If I select islands or faces, I still only see vertices pop up in the Preview. But they are where they should be. I thought that it must be something dumb I did or a setting. But since I can't find anyone else with the problem, and nobody had a quick answer, I think it must be driver or hardware quirk on my end? But I'm glad the UV map does seem to exist. 

Ok, I got it. Maybe I'll go back to the theory I did something dumb. But I updated both 3DCoat and Nvidia and nothing. I then took a look at this annoying message that I have several maps with the same name. I could not get it to accept the rename. I'm fairly certain I did get it to rename in a previous session. Anyway, I already have a copy of this project saved as a different name. So I just deleted the hidden solid (the high detail model). Then the Texture Editor started working. 

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] UV Maps seem to vanish
  • Solution

I don't see a difference so far. But I think it's just that there are two painting objects from the Retopo. Despite the high poly version being hidden. I resolved the "Several UV sets are sharing the same name" by deleting the high poly solid. It didn't accept a name change otherwise. And then the Texture Editor displayed the expected content.

• Like 1