3DCoat Forums

3dcoat is too slow-why?

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

• Contributor
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

So for you it will work much faster anyway) 

Andrew... you really don't exist! Are you sure you are this world? :wizard:
I say this with all my respect and admiration!
I am completely impressed with the result.
I'm speechless ... to describe my happiness with the result I got.

Because unfortunately using the AMD processor, in my case the Ryzen 9 3900X was horrible using the Cutoff tool!

Everyone can see what happened in my previous tests, including a fatal error.
Cutoff operation really took a long time between 50 seconds up to more than 1 and a half minutes (sometimes even much longer) to complete and also sometimes freezing 3DCoat with memory related problems or closed the 3DCoat abruptly.

Now, happily I would like to share the result of my tests using version 3DCoat2023 . 09:

1) Test with screen recording program:
  - Geometry (sphere) with 8 million = took 8 seconds to be completed.

2) Test without screen recording program:
  - Geometry (sphere) with 8 million = took 8 seconds to be completed.

image.thumb.png.a3f3b38469d07816dce7f6965d755d2e.png

3) Test without screen recording program, but with more complex curve:
- Geometry (sphere) with 8 million = took 10 seconds to be completed.
image.png.b7672227323025f976abdfd96e880589.png

--> Note: When updating to version 3DCoat-2023 09, as I use Windows 10, it was not necessary to perform any type of procedure regarding KB5023706, the update flowed normally and successfully.

I confess that I am excited to test the Surface Mode in boolean operations.

Will I have a better performance too?

Andrew, I thank you so much for the magical work you did. :clapping:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

Really, I'm speechless ... just sharing the test I did with a bust of 15 million triangles that speaks for itself.
Cutoff operation has been completed in just 12 seconds.

So far, I don't even believe this is happening!  I'm IMPRESSED!
image.thumb.png.d588d6fd5fd2c8ba163b21562a5916cf.png

Looks like I'm exaggerating, no?
But I say that because I have the AMD processor and I know what I went through (really hard times)...

I believe to those who have Intel must be even faster! Is not true?!

Have I said I'm impressed? :D

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Looks like I'm lucky: I have said KB update, I was not aware of any issues until I updated 3DCoat today (from 23.01 to 23.10) and I came here looking for more details on what might be broken and read about cut off tests. I have Ryzen 9 5900HS mobile chip and everything looks nice:

around 12m bust cut off to 7m took around 12s

around 45m bust cut off to 30m took around 30s

At the time of test I was running my system on "silent" mode, meaning boost was off, frequency capped at 3,8Ghz.

I don't have much to compare to, but I definately haven't seen such speed on this certain scenario, heck, cutting something in surface mode was really risky and I used to voxelize mesh when it was more than 1m to cut stuff due to frequent crashes

• Reputable Contributor
On 3/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, lunchtimesketch said:

Looks like I'm lucky: I have said KB update, I was not aware of any issues until I updated 3DCoat today (from 23.01 to 23.10) and I came here looking for more details on what might be broken and read about cut off tests. I have Ryzen 9 5900HS mobile chip and everything looks nice:

around 12m bust cut off to 7m took around 12s

around 45m bust cut off to 30m took around 30s

At the time of test I was running my system on "silent" mode, meaning boost was off, frequency capped at 3,8Ghz.

I don't have much to compare to, but I definately haven't seen such speed on this certain scenario, heck, cutting something in surface mode was really risky and I used to voxelize mesh when it was more than 1m to cut stuff due to frequent crashes

I had an original AMD ThreadRipper CPU (1650X) and the AMD 4800H CPU (the model the year before yours, I think) in a relative's laptop, was noticeably smoother and more responsive when sculpting in 3DCoat. That's when I sold the ThreadRipper CPU and got an Intel CPU to replace it. It's weird how some AMD CPU's work really will with 3DCoat and some don't.