3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

image.thumb.png.00382c46dd9aa164717d304187f9920d.png

image.thumb.png.5f2916d5f4b6d02af0accb73da620e12.png

Hello, since yesterday I have been reporting this problem on the discord channel but I think they have no answer, I am doing a course where this apparently works but it doesn't for me and it is not clear how I can solve it, I have changed the cavity intensity in a thousand ways but no nothing changes, sometimes it gives a slight color depending on the piece. Could someone suggest me what is the appropriate amount? thank you

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
22 minutes ago, pieralessi said:

As Carlos is saying, when you have an object where Vertex Paint is applied, the paint is on top of the shader material. Think of the Shader as the base object material and the paint...as in the real world...is applied over it. When you then, try to adjust the shader settings, you cannot see the adjustments because the Vertex Paint is covering it. The best thing to do is to wait until you have finished creating/sculpting all of your models before applying paint to them, and use shaders to apply base materials for them. After you are done with the modeling/sculpting stage, you can then proceed to apply vertex paint or Retopo the model > bake the details > Paint in the Paint workspace on the low polygon, UV mapped model.

This Blender Applink series walks through the process of importing a base model into the Sculpt and Retopo workspaces > sculpt > bake > texture paint > export back to Blender. It will provide some insight into a typical workflow.

• Advanced Member

The truth is that I can't understand what you're talking about, I'm not importing from Blender, the only thing I know is that I'm following a course whose speaker stopped taking responsibility for the course, so I don't ask any more questions, so I resort to software support, in the videos you can see both the course and my procedure, it is exactly the same but with the drawback that I cannot continue the course or solve the problem since I am learning to use the software (windows 10, NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM), I have several days since I exposed the problem in the discord channel and in this forum, if you cannot find the problem contact the support staff or an expert programmer and please help me to solve the problem, I don't think I can run a professional project with a program full of errors.

• Reputable Contributor
49 minutes ago, pieralessi said:

The truth is that I can't understand what you're talking about, I'm not importing from Blender, the only thing I know is that I'm following a course whose speaker stopped taking responsibility for the course, so I don't ask any more questions, so I resort to software support, in the videos you can see both the course and my procedure, it is exactly the same but with the drawback that I cannot continue the course or solve the problem since I am learning to use the software (windows 10, NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM), I have several days since I exposed the problem in the discord channel and in this forum, if you cannot find the problem contact the support staff or an expert programmer and please help me to solve the problem, I don't think I can run a professional project with a program full of errors.

We are trying to help, so please be patient. I merely suggested watching some of the Blender Applink videos because they walk through a common workflow, regardless of what external app you may end up exporting a model to. So, in the previous video screen capture, Carlos noticed that the object apparently had some (Vertex) Paint applied to...and that was why you could not see the adjustments to the shader. A shader is like a base material. Any paint applied will cover it, just like paint would cover a piece of wood in the real world. I don't have access to this tutorial series, so I cannot tell what the instructor is doing. My guess is that he is showing how you can use either a shader or paint over the shader.

• Advanced Member

I thank you for the answer, it is difficult for me to go into depth, I will try to watch the video again, but the only problem that I present at this moment is that the same tool and the same steps do not work for me, I see that even the palette The shader that Carlos shows me in his previous answer is not the same, mine is shorter and I don't see options to expand it, we are supposed to be using the same version, by the way, the cavity setting returns to the same values after modify them, it is as if this ignores them.

in your project you are assigning a skin shader to the upper collar, that is not right.

also the collar does not have cavities, therefore you will not see any cavity effect by assigning it in the shader
Try using the same shader on another part of the mesh like on the head.

The shader pic you post above is the skin shader. Are you using latest version 2023.16 ?

I dont know why the instructor use a skin shader on metal. You should ask him but you already said that he doesn't answer you.

3DC is working as expected, there are discrepancies on how to use the shaders but that's not serious. The important thing is that you understand how it works and that you can discover your own way of making your creations by knowing the tools and their uses. To deepen the knowledge of shader you will have time later.

try a cavity shader applied to the head and let me know if it works.

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

The shader pic you post above is the skin shader. Are you using latest version 2023.16 ?

I dont know why the instructor use a skin shader on metal. You should ask him but you already said that he doesn't answer you.

3DC is working as expected, there are discrepancies on how to use the shaders but that's not serious. The important thing is that you understand how it works and that you can discover your own way of making your creations by knowing the tools and their uses. To deepen the knowledge of shader you will have time later.

try a cavity shader applied to the head and let me know if it works.

image.png.fc2d27d21ac7f56ed9997ba7b7328cdc.png

Thanks for answering, the instructor thing comes from the time I started the course, it took a long time to answer and then he completely ignored me, so I decided not to ask him anymore, I remember that an old inconvenience had been due to updating the program but he could have answered about it and I would have gone to support immediately. I have sent you the fragment of the course where it shows what the instructor does, unfortunately the file that I am making is very heavy. Besides, I can't figure out why my shader panel is shorter than the one you show.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Decompress this file, and copy all the content into

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Shaders\PBRshaders

Are all my sculpt shader before a fresh install

https://we.tl/t-W1cOtwqTHg

Hi,I sent the wetransfer file. a question: why I can't find this shader panel?

image.png

my panel is shorter

image.thumb.png.55079c00f83ecb24d26b6ea6a5fb6d87.png