3DCoat Forums

Plasticity

Koray

• Reputable Contributor
22 hours ago, Koray said:

https://www.plasticity.xyz/

Nice little software if you are into hard surfaces. Replaces the need to deal with Blender and addons or Moi3d for concepting. Easy to learn. Exports nice too. Made by one person.

Keep an eye on it if you feel like.

I've heard a little bit about that. Looks interesting. FWIW, 3DCoat will and already (to some extent) has some hard surface modeling tools, to bridge the gap between poly-modeling and solid surface modeling. The plan is to have the Solid Surface tools suite in the form of an addon, and with it will come a polygons to Nurbs/Solid Surface converter...which is already in 3DCoat now, temporarily (for users to try).

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I've heard a little bit about that. Looks interesting. FWIW, 3DCoat will and already (to some extent) has some hard surface modeling tools, to bridge the gap between poly-modeling and solid surface modeling. The plan is...

We'll see how that plan goes.

Edited by Koray
Trying to be nice.

• Reputable Contributor
19 minutes ago, Koray said:

We'll see how that plan goes.

Actually, it has been progressing in this direction for some time now, as many modeling tools are Nurbs style features, and even the exporter is actually quite a big deal because I remember needing such a feature in 3ds Max, years ago and the closest thing I could find was a $1000+ PowerNurbs plugin. 

• Advanced Member

I've been keeping an eye on Plasticity for a while now. It looks very accessible and powerful, but mainly for hard-surface modeling. I prefer MagicaCSG, because you can create both hard-surface and organic shapes with it, and totally non-destructive. But it's much more limited than 3D Coat, so no competition there. I love using MagicaCSG for quick basemeshes and stylized concepts.

More info about MagicaCSG can be found here. Right now it's in beta stage, so you need to become a Patreon supporter to download MagicaCSG at the moment.

Edited by Metin Seven

• Advanced Member

I think 3D Coat could theoretically do some of this and I've been pushing for a similar approach.  I'm still hoping for something like this, but it's hard to see where things are headed.  Workflow is important and this looks like a really useful tool.  I'm going to try it out.  It looks like it has 3D Coats boolean simplicity without the brute force Voxels only approach.

Seeing this makes me a bit sad that 3D Coat hasn't quite capitalized on it's potential in this area. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
45 minutes ago, gbball said:

It looks like it has 3D Coats boolean simplicity without the brute force Voxels only approach.

Thats why I purchased it like I did 3DCoat for the same reason many years ago. Freedom. 

• Like 1