3DCoat Forums

what is the point of poly modelling?

• Advanced Member

ive lost all point of poly modelling now,

the more i use these tools the more i dont see a point of traditional modelling techniques

headphone.thumb.jpg.4d2bd32d0e45f5db5994a93eb1a1f861.jpg

this literally just took me an hour to throw together ... this is just primitive shapes , and some brush work on creases..

hopefully devs add some more ways to model in sculpt room

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

I, too, hope that maximum effort will be placed on innovative tools other than traditional ones, so, add some more ways and tools to model in sculpt room.
Hybridizing the techniques could result in something completely new. I think 3Dcoat is on the right track.
With this tool it is easy and quick to create a curved surface. I think I had already written my opinion about it.

wegdf43q.jpg.2be901b6f8c83d3a7a3661e406b6f448.jpg

For example, why not make it so that this simple 'primitive patch' tool have more control points, vertex snaps, and other sub-tools and enhancements that could create a particular workflow: an editable grid but with the freedom of voxels (in the specific field of curved surfaces....because hard surface/solid modeling is already mature)
Maybe there is already something like that in development in the current 3Dcoat tools, I just don't know enough about it yet.

Modeling with SubDs is fantastic and for some things still unsurpassed by other modeling techniques, I was just wondering why no one ever talks about it, and if it is really such a given.
SubD modeling in my opinion is destined to be obsolete in a few years, as far as the artistic and concept design is concerned...(ok maybe I'm being a little drastic :db:)
Because, for most people, anything that is slow and/or tiring to do and learn goes out of fashion IF THERE IS A FASTER AND FUNNER ALTERNATIVE.
It can't go on like this....i Subd requires great technical expertise, experience and a lot of time.
As far as I know now there are few alternatives to polygonal/nurbs modeling as far as curved surfaces are concerned.
While instead tools for solid modeling abound, in 3DCoat, Zbrush and others.
This is how I feel about the topic, but I do not claim to be right or to know everything.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

I'm also not using poly modeling tools anymore. It would be great if 3D Coat's primitives could get SDF-like realtime blending and Booleaning (or an SDF Modeling Room, although @Elemeno disapproves of that ;)).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Metin Seven said:

I'm also not using poly modeling tools anymore. It would be great if 3D Coat's primitives could get SDF-like realtime blending and Booleaning (or an SDF Modeling Room, although @Elemeno disapproves of that ;)).

not disapprove .. im all for it , it just takes alot, but i do have to say thank you for pointing me in the direction of magica and plasticity ... actually really great tools

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Elemeno said:

not disapprove .. im all for it , it just takes alot, but i do have to say thank you for pointing me in the direction of magica and plasticity ... actually really great tools

:good: