3DCoat Forums

Problem with Knife tool

DustyShinigami

Question

• Advanced Member

Hi

I feel as though I've asked this before, so apologies if I have. Unless it's similar to something else...

I seem to be having issues with the Knife tool. Now, admittedly, I am using an older version of 3DCoat. On my PC, it's 2022.33 and my laptop has 2022.24, which is what my university is using I believe. So I'm not sure if this is an issue that's been reported before and has been fixed.

It seems like, no matter where or how I use the Knife tool to cut and make an edge, it's adding additional edges elsewhere. I even have Backface Culling enabled. I've even tried it with it disabled and the same thing can happen. I've captured what happens whenever I use it:

ezgif.com-optimize.thumb.gif.29f87a815579e9731200b88755459f54.gif

Thanks

15 answers to this question

• Advanced Member

I'm sorry, but I really don't like 3DCoat's Knife tool at all. :( Here's another example... I have Ignore Back Faces checked, I've set it to Quadro/Quad, and I've even tried having the screen focused on the area from the Left view so everything's perfectly straight. No matter what I do, the same issue happens.

https://imgur.com/LXmHTcI

So unless things have been greatly improved in a newer version, I can't say, as I'm still using my university's. :-\ 

EDIT: Also, how the heck do you imbed a video like Gorbatovsky did above? I even tried uploading the video to imgur, but none of the links do that. And just adding the file as an attachment just allows you to download the file.

Edited by DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, DustyShinigami said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't like 3DCoat's Knife tool at all. :( Here's another example... I have Ignore Back Faces checked, I've set it to Quadro/Quad, and I've even tried having the screen focused on the area from the Left view so everything's perfectly straight. No matter what I do, the same issue happens.

https://imgur.com/LXmHTcI

So unless things have been greatly improved in a newer version, I can't say, as I'm still using my university's. :-\ 

EDIT: Also, how the heck do you imbed a video like Gorbatovsky did above? I even tried uploading the video to imgur, but none of the links do that. And just adding the file as an attachment just allows you to download the file.

ive had loads of issues with knife tool ... i find getting quad topology using the knife works better