3DCoat Forums

Sculpting to Texturing Workflow with imported model with UV's.

CES

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

Hello All,

I hope everyone is happy and well!

I'm a newbie to 3d Coat and I'm a little confused as to the workflow.  I have an imported a low res model with existing UV's which I modelled & UV'd in Maya and I would like to paint textures on the existing UV maps in 3d coat.  As the model is a low res cage for subdividing I thought I would be able to easily do this in 3d coat and then paint the textures on the subdivided model.  I firstly imported the model for surface sculpting without voxelization and subdivided a couple of times.  I then expected to be able to go straight into the painting tab and paint on the UV Map however there is no sign of the model?  The opposite if this is also true, i.e. I load the model into texture painting and go to the sculpting window there is no sign of the model.  I can see there is an option to subdivide the model for texturing on import but some parts of the model don't get smoothed.

I'm guessing I must be missing something pretty obvious and sorry for the newbie question but i'd really appreciate it if someone can help.  I know I could subdivide before exporting from Maya however one of the reasons I purchased 3d coat was because I thought I'd be able to make modelling & UV tweaks without having to go back to Maya, do the tweaks and re-export.

14 hours ago, CES said:

The opposite if this is also true, i.e. I load the model into texture painting and go to the sculpting window there is no sign of the model.

image.png

In this case, you can bake a model from the Paint room to the Sculpting room. Next, you can make a simplified automatic export of the model with a higher resolution and start texturing.

image.png

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

3DCoat has 3 different and distinct Mesh or Object types and each is native to a specific workspace. It is not a singular environment, where you can just import a low polygon mesh and do everything on that model. That may not seem logical, initially, but there are reasons for it...although I have asked numerous times for Andrew to merge the Paint Mesh and Retopo Mesh together, in order to simplify the workflow, make it easier to understand the application (for new users), and consolidate much of the UI. He agreed this needs to be done, but many other feature requests keep getting in line ahead of this very important one.