3DCoat Forums

Blend Layer - How do I make that work?

• Advanced Member

So there is a new figure I'm working with.  The older figure's UV's are sort of set up to work with the newer figure but the there is a discrepancy in a few areas I'd like to make the blend layer work for me to smooth out areas and what not but I can't figure out how to enable it properly!  figures textures maps.  I need some help understanding how this layer actually works.

PS.  I only need the color information, no depth needed.  

Thanks so much 

Richard 

Blend layer not functioning.png

Edited by Richard A.

Where is Layer0 ?

Layer0: avoid painting it for any purpose but transparency.
It contains mesh data and a “base coat” of paint for baking.
If you erase the paint, things still bake just fine. However, the transparent areas created will be baked as alpha/trans.
Also, if you hide Layer 0, it bakes fine and entirely with alpha/trans, whereas any other layer doesn’t contain color data.

----------------------------------------------------------

Think about layers as you think about Photoshop layers. Layer0 is like Background in PS.
About 3DCoat, think opacity as RBGA color alpha value. To get opacity variation (add semi-transparent mat etc.).
You only need to paint with an alpha value. then when you hide layer 0 now, you see semi-transparent or fully transparent with the layer color alpha value. Or you can set layer opacity, e.g., if you set layer one opacity value as 0.3, then hide “layer 0” now you should see 0.3 alpha color of the layer (semi-transparent).

The reason why 3DCoat keeps “layer 0” visible, it makes the user easy to color (overwrite layer 0) mesh. (layer 0 keep alpha as 1.0 (no transparent) and color perfect 0.5 0.5 0.5 RGB).
If there is no layer 0, you may not see any surface until you import the map or actually paint on the surface in another layer. It makes us difficult to paint.

• Advanced Member

Hi,  I renamed Layer 0 to Blend.  BUT there was a Layer 1 added to the default and that didn't do anything either when painting or anything else so I deleted it.  Maybe the Layer 0 should be named Base Layer with a pop out explaining what it's for when one hovers over it.  I had no idea that it was the base layer or that it couldn't be deleted.  I'm sure it's in the manual but I didn't read that section I guess.  Also thinking about the stack above if I do create another layer shouldn't it be ABOVE so when I paint or smudge or anything like that and set that layer to some blend it will affect the entirety of the layers below it?  

• Thanks 1