3DCoat Forums

Retopo with Symmetry changes Topology / Vertex count

Hi there,

we are using 3D-Coat for quite a while now and are usually very happy.

But now I have a super urgent topic.

I retopologize a MetaHuman Mesh to a 3D scan...

When using symmetry this unfortunately changes the topology of the mesh ... But only if I apply the symmetry...

If I export the Mesh without applying the symmetry, the vertex count is still the correct one.

Can I switch that behaviour off ? For the MetaHuman pipeline this is very bad :-/

Best regards,

Hansi

PS: the super urgent part is that I have a presentation tomorrow and needed to retopologize something

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 12/21/2023 at 3:15 AM, Hansi said:

Hi there,

we are using 3D-Coat for quite a while now and are usually very happy.

But now I have a super urgent topic.

I retopologize a MetaHuman Mesh to a 3D scan...

When using symmetry this unfortunately changes the topology of the mesh ... But only if I apply the symmetry...

If I export the Mesh without applying the symmetry, the vertex count is still the correct one.

Can I switch that behaviour off ? For the MetaHuman pipeline this is very bad :-/

Best regards,

Hansi

PS: the super urgent part is that I have a presentation tomorrow and needed to retopologize something

When you Retopologize, you are building a new mesh, so how could the vertex count remain the same (the same as what..the high poly/voxel object)? I don't quite understand what it is exactly that you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps a screen recording would help members or staff diagnose the issue?