3DCoat Forums

Projecting Painting Objects' Color Info to Sculpt Objects

Bruno Barros

Question

12 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

"I tested an export of the almost 9 million model with vertex colors from the sculpt room. Opened a new scene in 3DC, imported the FBX model. The vertex colors were there. Of course no metalness or roughness, color only. 

In order to paint on the vertex model you would have to import it.

This is to confirm to you it does work. I did not share a picture on that test." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last part of my previous post will get what you want. 

Export the high polygon model with the vertex colors.

import the the high polygon model with the vertex colors through the New Menu---Vertex Painting   Show voxels in the painting room must be enabled under the view window as the high polygon model will appear in the Paint room.

Paint your new colors, Switch to the sculpt room to run autopo and to bake for the brand new uv mapped mesh. 

Side Note once done baking, deselect Show Voxels in the painting room. 

Picture shows imported high polygon robot model in the paint room ready for more vertex painting.

vetex2.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2024.06 beta

If I understand correctly, you want the paint room color textures converted to vertex color. 

Bake menu in the Paint room--- the highlighted function in the picture. " Take subdivided painting mesh to the sculpt room. Select it and a dialog box will open.

Dialog box is where you choose the subdivision method and the vertex count. Be careful with the vertex number as it is multiplied. I chose 4407 and obtain amost a 9 million polygon model in the sculpt room. The higher vertex count you choose the high quality of your converted paint room colors.

The smart material was converted to vertex color as shown in the picture. 

You can sculpt on the object but not paint in the sculpt room. Normally we can paint on a model in surface mode but not when bringing a model from the paint room for vertex colors.

You can bake the sculpt changes back to the paint room mesh that is under the Bake menu as well in the Paint room. If sculpting changes be sure to have conform repoto mesh selected.

I tested an export of the almost 9 million model with vertex colors from the sculpt room. Opened a new scene in 3DC, imported the FBX model. The vertex colors were there. Of course no metalness or roughness, color only. 

This is to confirm to you it does work. I did not share a picture on that test.

Vertex.jpg

tosculpt.jpg

2 hours ago, digman said:

Windows version 2024.06 beta

If I understand correctly, you want the paint room color textures converted to vertex color. 

Bake menu in the Paint room--- the highlighted function in the picture. " Take subdivided painting mesh to the sculpt room. Select it and a dialog box will open.

Dialog box is where you choose the subdivision method and the vertex count. Be careful with the vertex number as it is multiplied. I chose 4407 and obtain amost a 9 million polygon model in the sculpt room. The higher vertex count you choose the high quality of your converted paint room colors.

The smart material was converted to vertex color as shown in the picture. 

You can sculpt on the object but not paint in the sculpt room. Normally we can paint on a model in surface mode but not when bringing a model from the paint room for vertex colors.

You can bake the sculpt changes back to the paint room mesh that is under the Bake menu as well in the Paint room. If sculpting changes be sure to have conform repoto mesh selected.

I tested an export of the almost 9 million model with vertex colors from the sculpt room. Opened a new scene in 3DC, imported the FBX model. The vertex colors were there. Of course no metalness or roughness, color only. 

This is to confirm to you it does work. I did not share a picture on that test.

Vertex.jpg

tosculpt.jpg

The main idea is to get uv-mapped objects, take it to sculpt room and then it will serve as a base for a completelly new object ( just getting the shape and initial color as a base). Paint the new added vertex.. Then autopo, automap and rebake it,making it a brand new uv-mapped object. Got the idea? Is it even possible?

On 6/9/2017 at 3:25 PM, digman said:

Using the method "Import for Vertex Painting / Big Reference"

If your imported model has a uv set plus of course the textures they will be automatically be converted to vertex color data, no need for using the fill tool.

The original model though has to be very high in polygon count before importing to keep the quality of the converted pixel color data to vertex color data. A couple million at least and higher. 

If no uv set and textures are present, then you would need to use a smart material or hand paint...

Very basic vertex colors are ok on lower resolution models as you say you plan on bringing the models into Unity. They do though need to be really very basic colors. 

just one more question..after doing it, and then going back to the painting room... did you notice fill tool's use max angle option is not working ? if you don't split the object in sculpt room and try to use fill, it will fill the entire object either max angle option is checked or not..