3DCoat Forums

Workflow question

rimasson

• Advanced Member

I've got a simple workflow question :

Does anybody of you have found a good workflow (and recorded a video) to shape a character or a creature in voxel mode ?

I tried a couple of time, and i find easier and much quicker to do that in a poly modeling app; Silo for example.

It allow me to manipulate the surface using vertices, do extrudes, and that fits almost all my needs. When the basic shape is Ok, i switch to Zb to do some further sculpting.

I tried to reproduce that in 3dc, by creating a simple skeleton, then drawing a topo, sending this topo in the (poly)sculpt palette, but iit's far from straightrforward, (i encountered a bug using the sym mode); and 3dc is not a poly modeler. I'll always have to go back into topology mode to do some extrusions, for example.

I've go my own workflow, and use actually 3cd only for retopo and painting purposes.

• Contributor
I've got a simple workflow question :

Does anybody of you have found a good workflow (and recorded a video) to shape a character or a creature in voxel mode ?

I tried a couple of time, and i find easier and much quicker to do that in a poly modeling app; Silo for example.

It allow me to manipulate the surface using vertices, do extrudes, and that fits almost all my needs. When the basic shape is Ok, i switch to Zb to do some further sculpting.

I tried to reproduce that in 3dc, by creating a simple skeleton, then drawing a topo, sending this topo in the (poly)sculpt palette, but iit's far from straightrforward, (i encountered a bug using the sym mode); and 3dc is not a poly modeler. I'll always have to go back into topology mode to do some extrusions, for example.

I've go my own workflow, and use actually 3cd only for retopo and painting purposes.

Consider starting your model with polygons in your polygon modeler and importing it in to Voxel mode to create the more finished 'model' and bake this to add the textures and fine detail in Perpixel mode. Polygon modeling is a very deliberate means for creating forms but Voxels is more like traditional sculpting with clay and therefore requires the acquisition of skills that may not have been previously cultivated. And don't forget the handy primatives and Sketch tool that enable a very controlled approach and "Subtracting" is far less problematic than the booleans of polygon modelling.

• Contributor

It is totally doable.

You can achieve a basemesh like a zsphere one using lowres voxels .

If you ever made a full fledged character out of a zsphere basemesh well it is the same thing you do with lowres voxels.

Then you increase res,building up character with sculpting tools,extracts and splits copies to get accesories,add custom curves for belts and straps,hair with spike brush for example...It's all a matter of being comfortable with the brushes or not.There is a little wall to break.If you are very proficient using poly modeling then you will probably get faster results using polys because you dont even need to think anymore about the tools .

• Advanced Member

I often just start with a sphere. As much as I love modeling in Silo I find it simpler to just start sculpting in 3dc. Using the pose tool can reduce the amount of sculpting required at the start by just stretching out a couple of spheres into limbs, torso, etc, then merging them all together. There's so many ways of roughing stuff out in 3dc, but I've settled on those two as faves. Even for non-organic stuff I'm starting to rough out more with voxels and just retopo it, then move it to silo for more precision polygon editing.

I often just start with a sphere. As much as I love modeling in Silo I find it simpler to just start sculpting in 3dc. Using the pose tool can reduce the amount of sculpting required at the start by just stretching out a couple of spheres into limbs, torso, etc, then merging them all together. There's so many ways of roughing stuff out in 3dc, but I've settled on those two as faves. Even for non-organic stuff I'm starting to rough out more with voxels and just retopo it, then move it to silo for more precision polygon editing.

Absolutely. This is a great method. You can also place a bunch of primitives in the scene quickly as well. I find spheres and cylinders quick for humanoids.