3DCoat Forums

Voxel export scale

creaturesculptor

Hello All,

I am working with the voxel sculpting tools and I have a question. If I import/merge an obj file that is smaller in scale the resulting voxel mesh will be "low res" I need to scale it up to increase the res of the clay (unless there is a control for clay resolution I am missing). When I do this 3D coat asks me to store the scale info for later recall when exporting a poly mesh. I say OK.

now when I make my changes and export a new obj from the voxel data the scale is changed still... Is there a way to import and maintain scale while getting a nice clay resolution or do I need to tick some setting when I export an object i scaled on merge. The problem is smaller objects with parts close together become a bit blobby and merged if you don't increase the clay res.

Thanks in advance!

• Contributor
Does anyone have ideas on this? Did I miss a manual page :)

There realy isn't a voxel 'mesh', but a voxel resolution there is and it relates to the ease with which detail is added. Low res gives fast response with big brushes but you need to increase the res as you go for mor detail. Maybe you are missing the command for increasing voxel res, but it's there (where, off hand, I can't say at this moment). But importing a larger model doen't have any effect on voxel res, just the scale of the object.

To preserve a lot of detail, you must export a deformation or normal map as retop or quadrangulate wont preserve the finer details. I don't want to lead you down a weed grown garden path, however, as I am not very experienced with 3DC, especially voxels.

But importing a larger model doen't have any effect on voxel res, just the scale of the object.

A larger model might not, but scaling the merged object before you first press Enter does indeed effect the voxel res. You can see an Estimated Poly count in the Params panel, which goes up and and down as you scale the model.

creaturesculpter: If it asks "do you want to preserve the scale" and you say Yes, then it really should have the same scale when you export. That "preserve scale" option is a somewhat new feature, maybe it has a bug in it. If that's the case please report the bug in the Support area.