3DCoat Forums

3d Coat workflow example

jasonwf

I've been playing around with the trial version and watching some tutorial videos, but I had a question about workflow from voxel sculpt to final textured model.

I noticed you still have a depth channel in the painting tab where you can create finer details. My question is, do you guys normally just scuplt the rough/med detailed object in voxels, retopo, then create a normal map from the sculpt...then paint and do fine details in the paint mode?

I'm assuming whatever fine details you sculpt in the paint tab are then added to your voxel normal map when you export to an external 3d app?

thanks

That's precisely what I do.

I prefer to do the finer details with a normal map after doing the basic form and medium details with voxels.

It allows for more control over the details, because you can stack layers upon layers with the normal/displacement painting methods so achieve a greater look. Also it allows for different maps on the same mesh, just in case your client or boss wants something that looks a little different... It's a lot easier to repaint a map then it is to do a whole voxel sculpt or tweak a voxel sculpt.

So anyway, to briefly answer your question: Yes, low/med details with voxels. Finder details with normal/displacement painting in the paint tab. Then export maps.

That's precisely what I do.

I prefer to do the finer details with a normal map after doing the basic form and medium details with voxels.

It allows for more control over the details, because you can stack layers upon layers with the normal/displacement painting methods so achieve a greater look. Also it allows for different maps on the same mesh, just in case your client or boss wants something that looks a little different... It's a lot easier to repaint a map then it is to do a whole voxel sculpt or tweak a voxel sculpt.

So anyway, to briefly answer your question: Yes, low/med details with voxels. Finder details with normal/displacement painting in the paint tab. Then export maps.

Thanks for the explanation. Really liking the program so far, I'm really amazed at how far this program has come. The first time I stumbled upon it it didn't even have sculpting, at this rate it may surpass zbrush.

I'm certain it will. As you said, the rate at with Andrew is progressing should allow for such... And it is simply stunning. :)

I noticed you can't do displacement in the per pixel painting method. So say I wanted to add some real displacement in the microvertex method, but paint in per pixel paint. Is that possible or would I have to do all of my painting from there out in the microvertex mode?

Although you are not changeing the vertices in Per Pixel, you can export a Displacement map that will provide the same vertex displacement (or the appearance thereof) in your app of choice.

Right, but say I wasn't able to get certain details with voxels, but wanted displacement and not a normal map. There is no way to view displacement in the per pixel painting area to get the benefits of painting color/spec in that mode. I'd just have to continue my color/spec texturing in the microvertext mode correct?

I wonder if you could load up the same model for microvertex painting, then load your normal map, and some how bake the details to a displacement map?

EDIT:

Sorry, my brain has been a little friend since I got sick.

Of course you can do this, just use the texture baking tool and bake out a displacement map.

I wonder if you could load up the same model for microvertex painting, then load your normal map, and some how bake the details to a displacement map?

EDIT:

Sorry, my brain has been a little friend since I got sick.

Of course you can do this, just use the texture baking tool and bake out a displacement map.

cool thanks!