3DCoat Forums

3dc and tiny details ...

markus

ok --- i found that increasing the resolution a couple of times sort of brings back the details - however producing some oddities at the same time:

1) i circled the issues blue -> where do those "beams" come from?

2) do i have to increase res. so that those broken elements will merge again? (ie: the entire structure is a closed curve)

3.JPG

regards & thanks for your time,

markus

• Reputable Contributor

You need to increase your polycount.You have only around 98.000 appox. When you import the object, (before hitting the enter key or the apply button)left click on the object's white cube and drag. The polycount will increase plus,keep dragging till at the desired polycount. 2 to 3 millon polycount should give you all your details(the object size in the screen will increase too). The higher the polycount the higher number of voxels created. You can go higher in your polycount, up to what your computer can support without being bogged down.

Also you can click on subdivide a few times to smooth the object after you get your polycount and before you hit the enter key or apply button. That way your voxels look smooth to start with. I subdivide till I no longer see any polygon squares. This does not increase your polycount as I believe that is it only a smoothing routine.

Edit:

Increasing the resolution will not give details that are not there to begin with, hence you need to have a high

enough polycount to begin with to capture all the details for the voxels...

• Reputable Contributor

very cool!!!! thank you very much :) thats exactly what a newbie like me easily overlooks ;)

ps: any ideas where those horizontal bars come from?

markus

I think it could be a bug, I get them sometimes when I used the pose tool. I need to post a bug report in that section. Take that screen shot of yours and put it in the bug report section of the forum. Andrew is real good at tracking and fixing bugs when they are really bugs in his software.

I think it could be a bug, I get them sometimes when I used the pose tool. I need to post a bug report in that section. Take that screen shot of yours and put it in the bug report section of the forum. Andrew is real good at tracking and fixing bugs when they are really bugs in his software.

yep - could be, but i figure that its rather me lacking proper 3dc knowledge ;)

i observed the same behavior on another mesh:

the original mesh:

4.JPG

and here the result with those weird bars covering the entire body of the mesh

2) i marked the top are of the mesh yellow: here i do not understand why the surface turns out so "warted" - shouldn't it be fairly smooth after subdividing voxels?

5.JPG

• Reputable Contributor

If you can zip your files and upload them here (if they are not to large for the forum), then I will download and look at them. Maybe, I can find the problem. I'm no expert but will give it a shot...

One thing if your last model has a hole somewhere in it, ( not like donut hole but a polygon hole or maybe even one unmerged vertex which would create a hole but you could not see it) you can get that stuff. Also if the model has no depth like a head model open on the bottom, just two-sided polygons. Those you have to bring in using the merge as skin which is right above the select mesh tab or make mesh closed tab.

I've had a few of those streaks myself when importing models and voxelising them. I think it may have something to do with the way that the voxel model is created. I'm not a technical guy but I think the placement of the points that make up the voxel mesh are placed in a fixed grid-like fashion on 3d dimensions kind of like the pixels in a 2d image but in 3 dimensions instead. OK, maybe I'm not explaining it in the best way but, basically, the way that the voxel mesh causes these "spikes" and checked mesh patterns.

Paul

cool !!!!

that would be wonderful if someone could spare a couple of minutes to take a look at the troublemaker :)

please find it in the attachment.

regards,

markus

If you can zip your files and upload them here (if they are not to large for the forum), then I will download and look at them. Maybe, I can find the problem. I'm no expert but will give it a shot...

One thing if your last model has a hole somewhere in it, ( not like donut hole but a polygon hole or maybe even one unmerged vertex which would create a hole but you could not see it) you can get that stuff. Also if the model has no depth like a head model open on the bottom, just two-sided polygons. Those you have to bring in using the merge as skin which is right above the select mesh tab or make mesh closed tab.

object export test.obj

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the reply Phil. I had addressed make mesh close in an earlier post. I checked the obj file and he had some unmerged vertices which causes a hole but you can not see it, too small...

I found it best just to use the merge vertices command in your (insert favorite modeling progam here) on any files pior to loading into 3DC.

• Reputable Contributor

Edit: I had to delete my post to make sure I uploaded the correct obj file.

Ok, you had either some duplicate or unmerged vertices. I used Hexagon modeler to average merge all vertices. That way if you got a few that are unmerged (not connected) then they are merge into one. You get rid of any unseen holes that way. reference other post. Also it will get rid of dupicate vertices. Also you cannot not start out with smooth voxels as your polygon structure is either from a scan or export from the voxel room. You will have to retopo it for a useable uv map. You can mannually smooth your voxels though after import.

I inculded a fixed version.

I checked again to get the number of unmerged vertices. appox. 300,000 unmerged vertices.

After using the merge command, 5710 vertices for the obj model.

edit: quad polygons are the best for smoothing...

post-518-1258997788245_thumb.jpg

obj.zip

digman thank you very, very much! i am glad you managed to track down the issue. i think i learned something really important today :) will check out hexagon as well. i am playing with meshlab at the moment to fix the issues. will post results.

not i have to go into smoothing this baby out ...

thanks again !!!

markus

Edit: I had to delete my post to make sure I uploaded the correct obj file.

Ok, you had either some duplicate or unmerged vertices. I used Hexagon modeler to average merge all vertices. That way if you got a few that are unmerged (not connected) then they are merge into one. You get rid of any unseen holes that way. reference other post. Also it will get rid of dupicate vertices. Also you cannot not start out with smooth voxels as your polygon structure is either from a scan or export from the voxel room. You will have to retopo it for a useable uv map. You can mannually smooth your voxels though after import.

I inculded a fixed version.

I checked again to get the number of unmerged vertices. appox. 300,000 unmerged vertices.

After using the merge command, 5710 vertices for the obj model.

edit: quad polygons are the best for smoothing...

hi everyone!

thanks to your help i managed to get most of my models ready for cnc milling :)

still, smoothing the above mesh gives me a very hard time. would some of you be willing to help me conquer that beast?

what i have done so far: subdivide the mesh

->"smooth all" would not get rid of the breaks on the very thin areas

->"increase resolution" same problem. in fact, this option even widens the gaps in the thin areas

btw: the current version i am working on has some 1 Mio polys

please find attached a stl slice of the mesh.

mesh slice

regards,

markus

hi all!

on stl import i get the following image:

1.JPG

the retopo view however shows me this:

2.JPG

is there something i can do to preserve the details?

thanks for helping

markus

• Contributor

Your model is a dead end for voxels.

Its about the most challenging piece Ive seen for importing to voxels.

There is no way you will be able to smooth that without some smaller knots merging together.

Import is possible tough...just scale when merging until you reach 4or5 millions and press enter.

DONT USE SMOOTH ALL or INCREASE RES(which also smooth the mesh).

Then you can smooth manually in surface mode using the cube icon in the voxtree beside your layer.

What you would need is a "smooth all" function in surface mode.

Post a request for this in "feature request" section of forum if you want.

But again,I must say it is the hardest piece to import and smooth in voxels Ive ever seen.

If you could just subdivide it in the original application it was made until no smoothing is necessary and only import in 3DC using the method mentioned above then maybe you could get away with it...the smaller knots are SO dense and close to each others....