3DCoat Forums

Quad Help?

CropCircle

Here is what I would like to do. I have a Zbrush model that has some areas where the polys are getting stretched. I would like to convert the model to voxels in 3DC and either continue in 3DC or bring back to Zbrush. There are other procedures that I need to do further down the road that I need the model to be in quads. When I open 3DC .obj's the whole model is triangles. Are there any options for exporting to quads that I am missing, or any ways to convert to quads?

-Thanks

3DC shouldn't be triangulating your mesh upon import, it should still be all quads or whatever you exported out as. When you are exporting it is certain it is all quads?

Can you share the content? I can take a look at it if you like.

I came across this problem working on a model I sculpted in Zbrush so I tried a test to see if I could recreate my problem. I took polycube#1 which is a native primitive. When I export this as an object I can open it in other software and it comes in as quads. When I take that cube into 3DC using merge it converts to voxels. If I take this cube and save it as a .obj it is no longer quads. It appears to me that 3DC can not save a .obj as quads. This ability would lead me to buy this software right now.

If I open polycube#1 in 3DC as a reference mesh it will export it as quads. This is not helpful to me.

Attached are my test files. PolyCube#1 is the cube I created in zbrush. PolyCube#1test is the PolyCube#1 after being converted into voxels and exported from 3dC.

PolyCube#1.OBJ

PolyCube#1test.obj

• Reputable Contributor

3DC exports quads. When you merge into voxels, you lose any uv map and your quad polygons,voxels are not quads in nature. If you export a obj from the voxel room, you will not get quads.(exporting from the voxel room is mainly used for static renders,hence the reduction tool for it. You have to retopo the mesh to get quads either by manually(great retopo tools in 3DC) doing it or using the quadrangulate feature (like the above post said) in the vox tree.

Thanks for posting your tutorial marrakech. :)

You can use the auto quadrangulation as marrakech posted, or as digman said, you'll need to manually retopologize the voxel sculpt after you merge and sculpting it. Luckily 3DC has extremely competent retopo tools! Personally if you need the mesh to be relatively the same as before, then you will definitely want to manually retopologize it.