3DCoat Forums

Suggestions to make the software better

Metzook

Here are the ideas we have to make 3d-brush better.

-Place the texture who appears in the back of the screen (to paint it) in the center of the screen...to avoid manipulations of the model before painting

-Create some buttons in the view menu like : "front view", "back view" "left view" and "right view" (with hotkeys on the pav num)

-Support for alpha

-For big models, a kind of locker of selection : you paint it and then lock the selection, or hide the faces unselectionned.

-To have access at the materials generated by the software (my models often appears black :blink: )

-A manager of hotkeys (it allows to choose our own hotkeys, that we used to use)

it's all for now, everyone can place here his suggestions to make 3d-brush better ! :)

Thank you for ideas!

1) But I have not understood the first one.

2) Create some buttons in the view menu like : "front view", "back view" "left view" and "right view" (with hotkeys on the pav num) - It is done in release ( ortorraphic mode is also done)

3) Support for alpha - anyway will be add later, but maybe very soon after release.

4) For big models, a kind of locker of selection : you paint it and then lock the selection, or hide the faces unselectionned. - Hiding/storing the hiding state is done in the release.

5) To have access at the materials generated by the software (my models often appears black ) - may be UV - mapping problem? It is interesting to see that models. It could be good if you will send these models to me to support@3d-brush.com .

6) A manager of hotkeys (it allows to choose our own hotkeys, that we used to use) - good idea, but may be slightly later.

I also ask anyone to write there your propositions and suggestions!

Guest Metzook (not logged)

woa this release will be very powerful !! :lol:

for the first suggestion it's to improve the placement of the photo in the background, like here : why not put the photo directly in the center of the screen... (for the moment photos appears in a mozaic, and in the four corners of the screen). Or maybe does already exist a tool to move the background texture ?

i can't take a screenshot now (i'm not on my computer) but if i'm not enough clearly, i will send you as soon as i can :)

for the model, i'll send you as soon as possible, in the same time of the screenshot ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

Having just purchased the 2 version after a few trys of the betas, I have a couple of comments that I hope will help.

1.A lot of the "nomenclature" in the English version is almost unfathomable. As in the Help for example---"Regimes of drawing--"Left bottom of a mouse-pressing out""

2. An uncertainty about the Hot keys. Open file (Ctrl+O (or o)---Depth channel (D) (or d)? etc

(With those two, having someone ,probably a 3D expert ( fully English speaking) to adjust the nomenclature to that more regularly/universaly used and acceptable.)

3. To me, and I would think a VERY basic working item. An "Undo" function (with an adjustable limit to the amount of times)

4.Navigation icons on the screen.(Not having to use keys to change navigation--I an still trying to find out the navigation methods--like zoom!)

(Or is it that I just can not find those latter two?)

Thank you, we will check the English text more carefully. But I have not understood the Undo topic. Undo is almost limitless (now 300 mb is limit). But there are some operations that are not undoable now. Like Merge visible.

About navigation icons - ok, I will do it. As for now, use ALT+Right mouse button to zoom, ALT+LMB to rotate, ALT+MMB to move.

And thank you for purchasing the 3d-brush!

• Contributor

[Thanks for the reply

I can not find the undo function anywhere? Please help as this is most important. (Note the rubber function is not adequate if you mean that.)

The standard system is to have both Undo and Redo functions. These change the last work action-you can step back, as you set in preferences, 20 or more backward steps.

Most people I know have a wheel as the "centre button" and, as is normal practice, this should be the zoom. On most 3D apps the middle wheel zoom is a continuously available thing, without the need of a key use. So, anyway, how to I go about moving now that I do not have a centre button please?

• Contributor

I can not find anywhere, a computer mouse which has both a MMB and a wheel? Who is able, on any Windows programme, or PC, to use that Move shortcut Alt + MMB?

(In many applications to get Move you click on the Space Bar which converts the mouse arrow on the screen into a Hand.)

In your "Keyboard Shortcuts" you type Left bottom of mouse----this should be Left button of mouse

Your "Options" button should be renamed the virtually universal "Preferences".

"Regimes of drawing"---I doubt many would quickly understand this unusual use of English.

In the "Keyboard Shortcuts"---Smoothing:-- you have complicated this with incorporation a Russian letter?

Without carrying on further, I hope these few examples may highlight the suggestion of my earlier post to get a fully English speaking CG person to go through all your item descriptions in the application. Doing so would make the application far more readily acceptable and usable by potential english speaking customers.(As it currently makes it difficulty to understand for me.)

Hope this is of help.

• Contributor
Almost every mouse with mouse wheel has middle mouse button. Usually if you will press the wheel (not rotate) it acts like middle mouse button. Is is used in Max and Maya. I think it will be better if I will add the choice of navigation type in Preferences. What is usual navigation type for you?

I learn something new every day. With all the Adobe Suite stuff over the years, and a whole raft of other 2D and 3D apps, I have never seen a MMB shortcut in thier lists!

I have seen it in Shortcut lists for Mac I think and always thought it was a Mac thing!

Fairly common on the apps I seem to use is to use Space Bar + LMB for Move. This is the one in Photoshop anyway. Nearly all the Apps I have seem to basically follow Photoshop protocols in most things--and I would think, personally, that following that rather than Max or Maya systems would be more universally acceptable to the majority perhaps.

Anyway, I did not know I had a MMB!!!! (I am going to be laughing at myself all day!)

• Contributor

I woke up several times during the night laughing about the middle mouse button!

I am 75 so I hope there is some latitude to forgive me.

Basically, I do not use key strokes. The reason I went to the keyboard shortcuts is because many of the operations can not be done on the User Interface it seems.

I believe that keyboard working should only be a secondary alternative---perhaps for the young and fluent?

I am also strongly against UIs that differ mutch from the norm. I have the latest version of LightWave but gave it away after a week because so much of it's workings were so contrary to every other app I have ever used. Even as bad as that Undo was what other apps call Redo. Crazy!

I hope you can develop the UI of 3d-Brush to be closer to say, Photoshop (all of the Adobe CS3 Suite), Carrara, Hexagon, Amapi etc.

Anyway, enough from me on the subject. I have been promoting the product for you so I hope you get good sales.

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I still have trouble getting used to mouse-over menus (like moving the cursor over the pen icon and having the menu appear) and I'm not sure that's the best way to implement the interface. I use a dual monitor system so I invariably activate one o the menus on the left when I move my cursor to the right to get to my secondary monitor. And trying to get to the File menu, usually activates one of the menus (tools) below it.

Anyway, would it be a major effort to leave the view-port area as is but make it necessary to single-click the rest of the icons/menus? Also, it would then be possible to make the menus detachable so I could move some to my other monitor (similar to Photoshop's interface.)

That said, it may be only me that feels this way and there are good reasons the program is designed as it is. So if a majority like it the way it is currently implemented, by all means, don't change it. I can get used to it.

This is one great program.! :)